0-10v Dimming

PME2018

Occupation
Master Electrician/Electrical Contractor
If I am bidding a job using the plans put forth from the lighting design firm via the architect, and several of the loads on the project require 0-10v dimming provisions, but nowhere on the plan is this detailed or outlined, nor is there any reference to whose responsibility it would be to supply and install the 0-10v low voltage cabling (whether it’s the EC or Low Voltage System integrator) Also there is no single line diagram detailing 0-10v cabling requirements, and is only noted within the individual lighting spec sheets of which fixture types are 0-10. Now with all that said, who’s running the 0-10v low voltage dimming cable, the EC or the Low voltage control contractor?

Thank you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
agree with Bill,,an RFI is the only way to know for sure
FWIW every job I've seen with dimming fixtures had all wiring installed by the EC.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I've done jobs with 0-10v capable fixtures yet no dimming to be provided
I have no problem with Bill's approach, but in most cases I would not take the same. I see VERY few jobs where there is more on the plans than you indicate. I see you made no mention of whether there are any dimmer switches indicated on the job. As James said, many times the fixture is spec'd out with dimming capability, but there is no dimming on the job. My approach is this...

Anywhere there is a dimmer controlling lights, those lights get dimming. This can be wall dimmers, dimming capability in the room lighting controls (daylight sensors or occupancy sensors), or a lighting/dimming panel. In our case, it is always, our responsibility to run this wiring. It would be our choice if we decided to hire someone else to design or install this wiring, but it would be on us to carry the cost regardless.

PME2018

Occupation
To add clarification: All the lighting in question is controlled by low voltage keypads that are controlling Lutron lighting control system modules located in their respective control panels in the electric room, all of which are installed and supplied by the low voltage system installer. The 0-10v low voltage dimming cabling is to be installed from the connections on the LED drivers back to the Lutron control panels.

Strathead

Occupation
To add clarification: All the lighting in question is controlled by low voltage keypads that are controlling Lutron lighting control system modules located in their respective control panels in the electric room, all of which are installed and supplied by the low voltage system installer. The 0-10v low voltage dimming cabling is to be installed from the connections on the LED drivers back to the Lutron control panels.
Isn't the Lutron installer a subcontractor to you? I haven't dealt with Lutron in recent ties, but I have dealt with Crestron and ETC, they are usually subcontractors to us. In any case, we have always installed the conduit, chases, wiring and any backbox, or cabinet that requires line voltage, like the head end, and they may come in and terminate the cables including install of the dimmers etc. but usually we install all the components. It is all what you pay for, and your comfort level.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've installed Lutron systems and they can be very complex. Someone needs a comprehensive design plan for the entire system. We use MC cable with the 1-10 volt conductors within the cable.

PME2018

Occupation
I agree, there should be a comprehensive design plan issued, I have the final construction documents and there aren’t any plans specific to the lighting control, Only a lighting design plan.

Strathead

Occupation
I agree, there should be a comprehensive design plan issued, I have the final construction documents and there aren’t any plans specific to the lighting control, Only a lighting design plan.
While I agree with you, in todays world, we often have only rough information until after the bid is awarded.