Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Ground Rods - Southern California Perspective

Ground Rods - Southern California Perspective

What got me started on this subject in the first place was a correction notice on a recent service upgrade. Los Angeles County is now requiring two ground rods on every service !! According to this new inspector, it has always been required but never enforced ...

Michael

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, that's sorta true. :)

1113919386_2.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Minuteman said:
Oklahoma City requires a secondary ground source. Could be water pipe, CEE, or second electrode on all new services / upgrades.

Is it different than the NEC requirements?

brian john

According to this new inspector, it has always been required but never enforced ...

I say for residential drive two and be done with it, but what this inspector is saying, is this a local amendment? Or a personal WISH LIST of another self enforcing person that has no business in the inspection department.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
brian john said:
I say for residential drive two and be done with it, but what this inspector is saying, is this a local amendment? Or a personal WISH LIST of another self enforcing person that has no business in the inspection department.

For service upgrades that's our approach. We drive two rods and walk away. For a new building we're always using the CEE so the two ground rod issue doesn't exist.

Minuteman

infinity said:
Is it different than the NEC requirements?
Yes, they are still in the 2002 cycle and have a supplement to article 250.52 (A)(5) with a new sub-paragraph:
(C) Single rod and pipe electrodes shall not be used as the sole source of grounding.

And they interpret it to mean that all services require a second ground source.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Minuteman said:
Yes, they are still in the 2002 cycle and have a supplement to article 250.52 (A)(5) with a new sub-paragraph:

(C) Single rod and pipe electrodes shall not be used as the sole source of grounding.

And they interpret it to mean that all services require a second ground source.

So basically they are removing the 25 ohm requirement for a single ground rod or does this mean something else?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:
Michael,

Take a look at their forum....this one gets more posts on many single days than theirs does in a month.
As far as the IAEI site I would expect that most of the users of this forum are aware of that site. Many of us are members of that organization. They have some good information, but no better than what can be found here.
Don

The IAEI forum used to be great and was a lot like this one, but someone got the great idea of changing it and it was hard to use and there were other problems, so many of us that were on it simply gave up and moved over here. :grin:

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Ground Rods - A Southern California Perspective

Ground Rods - A Southern California Perspective

brian john said:
Brian John: Thank You for your response !

According to this new inspector Los Angeles County has a "Hand Out" which shows the required two ground rod system ... I will pick one up when I file my next permit and post it here. The inspector further stated that because this county covers such a large area ... From the Ocean to the Mountains to the desert all in one county ... Building & Safety has required this amendmant.

Michael

"We Are Only Pawns In The Game Of Life"

brian john

If they require the amendment then so be it.

I have read several local amendments from different jurisdictions over the years and most I have seen (IF NOT ALL) are a person personal quirk/wish desire and not necessarily a safety improvement.

JohnJ0906

infinity said:
For service upgrades that's our approach. We drive two rods and walk away. For a new building we're always using the CEE so the two ground rod issue doesn't exist.

Same thing here. CCE is required (formal amendment) for all new construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.