10/2 copper clad aluminum

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Right, I thought it was 10 for everything but regardless it’s a pain in the ass
Not really the smallest CCA allowed is 12awg but must be no more than 15A protection. 14CCA is allowed for signal and control wiring only.

kwired

Electron manager
10 years ago became the last scrap yard experience for me, after surrendering my SSN to a person behind the counter, who appeared to need it more than me.
Last couple times I took copper in they took electronic fingerprint scan and scanned my drivers license. If the amount to be paid was over a certain amount (maybe $100? I can't recall) they would mail the check to the name and address on the drivers license. If I showed them my EC license they would give me the check on the spot.

garbo

So it’s actually 12 AWG for 15 amp circuits and 10 AWG for 20amp circuits I’m almost positive
Thought that often unreliable U Tube vidios that I watched maybe a year ago stated that #10 CCA wire is rated for 25 amps.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
Good Morning. I looked on line to find the price of the 10/2 CCA NM but I could not even find any. What is the current price of 12/2 Copper NM and the current price of the 10/2 CCA NM. I just want to see how much money is saved.

Thanks, Bill

Birken Vogt

Last I looked, it was only being sold by a company called Copperweld and they only seem to want to sell it to approved installers. I don't think it is hard to get approved but I suppose they want to keep some control over it in case there are issues with the product or installation. I have seen lots of reference to it being used in tract homes and such. I don't think the cost savings is all that much.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If I showed them my EC license they would give me the check on the spot.
Some scrap collectors make house calls.