1000 amp 120/240 single phase service

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
So power company now says 1000amp single phase is to hard to get a transformer for. Has anyone had any work with 120/240 3 phase? I am from the industrial world of 120/208 and and 480, I have heard stories of issues with the high leg. Has anyone had dealings with this voltage? Any ideas for a 1000 amp service?
Pad mount, yes, pole mount no. I did a 1200 amp single phase service years ago, poco didn’t change the existing transformer for a 400 amp service, and just overfused it. It blew up a couple of months later, so they put a bigger can on the pole.

kwired

Electron manager
So power company now says 1000amp single phase is to hard to get a transformer for. Has anyone had any work with 120/240 3 phase? I am from the industrial world of 120/208 and and 480, I have heard stories of issues with the high leg. Has anyone had dealings with this voltage? Any ideas for a 1000 amp service?
The only thing you will supply (without additional transformation) from the high leg is three phase loads which you apparently don't have any as of now or straight 240 volt single phase loads. If those loads are pretty limited you still end up needing oversized transformer to supply the bulk of what you have.

208/120 is possibly the best way to go. If you do have individual load here or there that absolutely must have 240 you can maybe take care of that with buck boost transformer(s).

synchro

Occupation
EE
I am trying to help restore a old hotel in my hometown. The power company only has 120/240 single phase to that area so I will be using that for a 1000 amp service. ...

Will the HVAC and kitchen equipment be replaced? If so, is there still an opportunity to spec them for 208/120V instead of 240/120V?

If the PoCo can't get a 1000 amp transformer and can't deliver 3-phase at a lower amperage, can the PoCo then deliver multiple services to the single building? (In line with 230.2(B)(2) "A single building or other structure sufficiently large to make two or more services necessary" and would the AHJ allow it?)

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Will the HVAC and kitchen equipment be replaced? If so, is there still an opportunity to spec them for 208/120V instead of 240/120V?
I ran into this issue with a old building, POCO did not want to do a 1000A single phase, and also an elevator was 240V and that was the 208 deal breaker. It already had 800A bus duct service.
Getting an elevator converted from 240 to 208 is like converting water to wine.
240 delta has only one gotchya and its called 'open delta' avoid that like the plague.
Otherwise 240 delta is now more viable than ever due to LED lighting.
You can do 100% of your lighting and IT/server loads off 240V 2P and 3P breakers.
if your using loadcenters the breakers cost more, but not more than a 277V lighting breaker for a panelboard.
Just my 2 cents.

kwired

Electron manager
I ran into this issue with a old building, POCO did not want to do a 1000A single phase, and also an elevator was 240V and that was the 208 deal breaker. It already had 800A bus duct service.
Getting an elevator converted from 240 to 208 is like converting water to wine.
240 delta has only one gotchya and its called 'open delta' avoid that like the plague.
Otherwise 240 delta is now more viable than ever due to LED lighting.
You can do 100% of your lighting and IT/server loads off 240V 2P and 3P breakers.
if your using loadcenters the breakers cost more, but not more than a 277V lighting breaker for a panelboard.
Just my 2 cents.

There is open delta and there is full delta. Both will have a high leg or will be ungrounded or corner grounded though if that is the drawback you are getting at.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
There is open delta and there is full delta. Both will have a high leg or will be ungrounded or corner grounded though if that is the drawback you are getting at.
The gotchya is this:
Say for example you have a older 'mill' type building on a huge 4 wire open delta that once had just tons of 3 phase motors, now it gets renovated to retail with a commercial kitchen on the first floor and offices on the second floor. The developer says there is "plenty of existing power".

Say you have the following single phase 240V (L-L) loads on the plans:
Three 15kw 240V one phase ovens on the first floor.
Two 1kw panini machines.
A 240V microwave 2kw.
Three 1.5kw warmers 240V.
Three 1.4 kw steam kettles.
Two 48Amp furnace / air handlers on 1st floor one on the 2nd, compressors are 3 phase on the roof.
Two 240V 5.5kw single phase water heaters in the kitchen and a small one on the 2nd floor.
Parking lot lighting three 240V banks, bank each pulling 1200W.
Interior office lighting .6kw 240V
Three 50A 240V car chargers .
Three server racks that each pull 6kw 240V on the 2nd floor.

Being a good sparkey you want to balance all your load over the three phases.
How many of these 240V 1phase loads do you put between the 'open jaw' A-B phase?

Last edited:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I am no VFD guy but I think you just remove a screw or a jumper to get drives to work with a delta system?
I swear I have seen lots of VFD's in 3 phase delta buildings and I can't imagine every single one has a drive isolation xformer, but perhaps they do?

kwired

Electron manager
The "gotcha" of an open delta service is that any 3Ø load with a VFD will crash because the L-G voltage is not equal on all three legs.
The drive can usually handle it, the internal surge protection however isn't set up for more than either 120 or 277 nominal to ground (yes there is 480 delta both three wire and with high leg) Whether it is a three or four wire delta it has same problem, volts to ground on at least one or more lines is too high for the surge protector. Some have the ability to disable that surge protector and then can be used though it might be good idea to add additional protection of some sort. And as mentioned open delta isn't the problem, closed delta has same voltages phase to phase and phase to ground. The problem with delta systems is loading balancing the source - open delta can not take balance three phase load without upsizing a portion of the source. Often there is a large "lighting pot" and a smaller high leg pot, when majority of load is 120/240 single phase but there is limited three phase load expected to be served. I have even seen full delta systems but with large lighting pot and two smaller pots to make up the rest of the system. Again they are expecting majority of load to be 120/240 single phase but there is some three phase load as well. Then there is times when primary voltage only has two phase conductors and the neutral- no choice but open delta system here. If actual three phase load is significant enough then they must size the "lighting pot " larger than they normally would if it were a full delta system.
The gotchya is this:
Say for example you have a older 'mill' type building on a huge 4 wire open delta that once had just tons of 3 phase motors, now it gets renovated to retail with a commercial kitchen on the first floor and offices on the second floor. The developer says there is "plenty of existing power".

Say you have the following single phase 240V (L-L) loads on the plans:
Three 15kw 240V one phase ovens on the first floor.
Two 1kw panini machines.
A 240V microwave 2kw.
Three 1.5kw warmers 240V.
Three 1.4 kw steam kettles.
Two 48Amp furnace / air handlers on 1st floor one on the 2nd, compressors are 3 phase on the roof.
Two 240V 5.5kw single phase water heaters in the kitchen and a small one on the 2nd floor.
Parking lot lighting three 240V banks, bank each pulling 1200W.
Interior office lighting .6kw 240V
Three 50A 240V car chargers .
Three server racks that each pull 6kw 240V on the 2nd floor.

Being a good sparkey you want to balance all your load over the three phases.
How many of these 240V 1phase loads do you put between the 'open jaw' A-B phase?
Kind of covered some my answer in the above reply, every application has it's own conditions. Answer will depend on how large the "lighting transformer actually is, how large the stinger transformer actually is, what loads can operate on the high leg and what loads can not. Yes you can operate many straight 240 volt loads from high leg and one the other legs, but you must also use straight 240 volt rated breakers and not 120/240 rated breakers on those loads. An application like you mentioned is much simpler on a 208/120 wye system, though output of resistance heat items is reduced by about 25% and also needs some consideration to determine if it will be sufficient enough.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yes you can operate many straight 240 volt loads from high leg and one the other legs

What I have experienced and encountered more than a few times over the years is different, I call it the 'open jaw problem' where L-L 240V loads like HID parking lot lighting, computers, copiers etc, connected across the A-B leg (red arrow below) experience enough voltage fluctuation that they just don't work reliably.
For example the first time I ran into this over 20 years ago was building that had a large 3 wire 240V parking lot lighting circuit, all the lights connected A-B would flicker on-off, the banks A-C and C-B were fine.
My coworker at the time did the usual checked connections, replaced the breaker, then upgraded the fixtures, then we swapped lights around moving the phase wires on the breaker.
When the same loads moved to A-C (lighting pot) or C-B (stinger) they worked fine.
Sensitive electronics or even electronic ballasted MH fixtures just would not run reliably on A-B, until the utility made it a full delta.
Which is what I now always recommend when building is converted from industrial to retail/office and they have to keep the 240D (for elevators, roof chillers etc)
open-3-wire-delta.png

Last edited:
What I have experienced and encountered more than a few times over the years is different, I call it the 'open jaw problem' where L-L 240V loads like HID parking lot lighting, computers, copiers etc, connected across the A-B leg (red arrow below) experience enough voltage fluctuation that they just don't work reliably.
For example the first time I ran into this over 20 years ago was building that had a large 3 wire 240V parking lot lighting circuit, all the lights connected A-B would flicker on-off, the banks A-C and C-B were fine.
My coworker at the time did the usual checked connections, replaced the breaker, then upgraded the fixtures, then we swapped lights around moving the phase wires on the breaker.
When the same loads moved to A-C (lighting pot) or C-B (stinger) they worked fine.
Sensitive electronics or even electronic ballasted MH fixtures just would not run reliably on A-B, until the utility made it a full delta.
Which is what I now always recommend when building is converted from industrial to retail/office and they have to keep the 240D (for elevators, roof chillers etc)
View attachment 2564657
Hey Tortuga, how many times have you run into this unstable voltage across the open phases? Did you meter it and if so what kind of fluctuation were you getting? There are lots of open deltas in Seattle and I don't recall ever hearing complaints, but I am interested as I am setting up a new lab on an open Delta, and there will definitely be some potentially "sensitive electronics" at the facility.

kwired

Electron manager
View attachment 2564657
Seems more likely to happen if the stinger pot is much smaller than the lighting pot, and the fluctuations would likely occur when there is other load changes. You have both source coils in series when connecting a load between A and B, add any significant load to a somewhat undersized BC coil and you will effect the AB voltage. AC and AN CN loads also will impact this though it is likely the AC transformer is larger than BC transformer so needs to be even larger load to have similar effect. If both transformers are same size then heavy loading of the AC side with 120 volt loads can contribute as well, though that should effect the AC voltage also, or possibly that one larger three phase load is causing some the issues when it cycles on/off.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Seems more likely to happen if the stinger pot is much smaller than the lighting pot, and the fluctuations would likely occur when there is other load changes. You have both source coils in series when connecting a load between A and B, add any significant load to a somewhat undersized BC coil and you will effect the AB voltage. AC and AN CN loads also will impact this though it is likely the AC transformer is larger than BC transformer so needs to be even larger load to have similar effect. If both transformers are same size then heavy loading of the AC side with 120 volt loads can contribute as well, though that should effect the AC voltage also, or possibly that one larger three phase load is causing some the issues when it cycles on/off.
Agree. And even if both transformers are the same size, because their secondaries are in series the source impedance presented across A-B will be twice that across A-C and B-C. And so the voltage drop for a given load current on A-B will be twice what it would be on A-C or B-C.

Another effect that can happen with an open delta is that the relative phase shift between the line voltages can change somewhat with a variable load because of the asymmetry of the arrangement. This would not likely affect L-L loads but it could possibly affect a 3-phase load that was sensitive to phase shifts.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Hey Tortuga, how many times have you run into this unstable voltage across the open phases? Did you meter it and if so what kind of fluctuation were you getting? There are lots of open deltas in Seattle and I don't recall ever hearing complaints, but I am interested as I am setting up a new lab on an open Delta, and there will definitely be some potentially "sensitive electronics" at the facility.
The problem was only on single phase 240 loads across A-B.
I'd say only a handful of times, but delta's in general are pretty rare in my world.
Each time the issue was a load profile like I describe in post #30.

The buildings in question had stuff like elevators and chillers that ran off 240V delta, and would have been too expensive to replace, otherwise they would have converted to 208Y120. Allot of these old mill buildings were being remodeled with no tenants lined up for the retail so they were just getting 200A loadcenters in each space, no way to control the loading of A-B in that case.

After that I became aware of the 'open jaw' issue on these huge mill remodels, I started just asking for the open to be converted to full delta, and found it surprisingly easy to get done, then I don't even have to worry about it.
I think the POCO nicknamed me Dr Delta after a while.

Last edited:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Wild leg is 208 volts hot to neutral. It has some uses. I have an open delta with a wild leg feeding my shop. I use it for the outdoor and parking lot lighting

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I am trying to help restore a old hotel in my hometown. The power company only has 120/240 single phase to that area so I will be using that for a 1000 amp service. From a CT cabinet to a 1000 amp fusible disconnect. From there we will have a trough to tap into fused feeders to feed several 200 amp main breaker panels above trough. My question is can I use a set parallel of 350 mcm conductors for this or will I need to go up to 500 mcm. Thanks for the help it’s been years since I needed to size wire for a service this big.
Are you working under the 2020 NEC? If so, are you having to deal with 230.46?

Status
Not open for further replies.