110.26(A)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Rotating the pole is not a problem if you have two pieces of heavy equipment and a crane cable to wrap around the pole, even two 5 ton come along can do it ( not the first time I have had to relocate the bolt through hole after realizing it was in the wrong direction)

But moving the service around the pole can be done fairly easily if your good at rigging a jib at the top of the pole to take the weight of service and swing it around to the other side, you might check around and see if someone has a pole jib in your area, all it is is a boom that has a pulley at the top and you lag it to the side of the pole half way between the existing point and the new placement using a secured wench to take the weight off the mounting.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Rotating the pole is not a problem if you have two pieces of heavy equipment and a crane cable to wrap around the pole, even two 5 ton come along can do it ( not the first time I have had to relocate the bolt through hole after realizing it was in the wrong direction) ...
Wouldn't it be easier to drill a new hole? Also rotating a newly set pole is much easier than one that have been in the ground for sometime.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Two guys can easily move the can 90 degrees. Our POCOs are more than willing to help if we can let them schedule it in. Most of the time the meter cans are not screwed to the pole and are just supported via the conduit straps. Take your time and one guy can do it. Field engineering may be required.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Two guys can easily move the can 90 degrees. Our POCOs are more than willing to help if we can let them schedule it in. Most of the time the meter cans are not screwed to the pole and are just supported via the conduit straps. Take your time and one guy can do it. Field engineering may be required.

I have been thinking of asking the POCO to help out when they come to cut the drop.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Properly anchor the home. In Ohio that qualifys as a permanent install. Then move the disconnect to the home on the outside or bond and use the main panel that came with the home.
550.32(B)

jwelectric

Well if you don?t like my idea of twisting the pole how about raising the trailer up and rotating the lot 90 degrees. Wouldn?t that work?
Come on now with all these great minds here surly we can figure out something other than the 30 minutes it would take to move the panel.

kwired

Electron manager
I have the same question for you as I had for Mike. Have you ever tried to rotate a pole that has been in the ground for sometime?
They don't always move that easy after intial setting either. Hydraulic tampers pack the fill tighter than what it was before the pole was set many times.

I don't know if I can do it or not, but I have a plan. I will have to have POCO cut the drop, then I thought about tying the mast/riser in a few places to keep it from leaning too much, then remove the clamps, take the meter/panel loose, moving it 90degs, and put everything back. I would need a little help with this. I don't know how much the PVC w/conductors weighs.[/QUOTE]

POCO around here sets similar metering equipment all the time. They build it in the shop and take it to site and install it. Of course they have cranes on their trucks to lift it, but the crane is rated for much more weight than that service loop is. You could do it by yourself if you are creative enough to rig something up to support it. The hard part is already done - it is already vertical and up against the pole. If POCO is going to be there anyway see if they will help with their boom truck. If they won't lets just say they are a sad excuse of a POCO. All of them around here would help.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Well if you don?t like my idea of twisting the pole how about raising the trailer up and rotating the lot 90 degrees. Wouldn?t that work?
Come on now with all these great minds here surly we can figure out something other than the 30 minutes it would take to move the panel.
I don't mind not having a great mind, but why not an acess panel from inside the home, acess meter and dissconect from indoors? Scoff if you will but just wait till it's raining and I'm inside working on outdoor wiring.:D

kwired

Electron manager
I don't mind not having a great mind, but why not an acess panel from inside the home, acess meter and dissconect from indoors? Scoff if you will but just wait till it's raining and I'm inside working on outdoor wiring.:D

After you apply 110.26 that access panel turns into a minimum 30 inch x 78 inch door.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Good catch. Better consider scapping the whole service.

When we all were discussing this in the other post the other day, I think we were all thinking of Myers hubs. In dealing with a factory hub like this I guess you would need a close nipple and a female adapter to be compliant. Wouldn't that just look lovely. Another electrician would then come along later and say what a hack job, and rightfully so. What's the solution?:(

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Ok, I've got the hack fix for this. Just get the POCO guy to give you one of those fancy dancy 90 degree meter adapters you see once in a while. Problem solved.:lol:

kwired

Electron manager
When we all were discussing this in the other post the other day, I think we were all thinking of Myers hubs. In dealing with a factory hub like this I guess you would need a close nipple and a female adapter to be compliant. Wouldn't that just look lovely. Another electrician would then come along later and say what a hack job, and rightfully so. What's the solution?:(
Solution is to use RMC or IMC:happyyes: I don't know why people run PVC up a pole unless it is emerging from grade and runs all the way to top. They usually strap it too tight and the TA breaks and the fact it is in a hub no longer makes much difference to how much water it may let in.

jwelectric

Some didn?t like my idea of twisting the pole and no one commented on the idea of rotating the lot 90 degrees so I came up with another idea.

Why not just wait till the poles swap places? Would this not mean the whole earth was turned around?

Does a PVC riser need any kind of bonding?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We cant the poles that have been in the ground for a while with a log chain and a big piece of pipe. Not that hard if you have done it a couple of times. 2 or three guys can twist an old pole easily enough.
Seriously, the idea about asking the POCO to help out makes the most sense. If they help you, they can be done in 10 minutes, or when they cut it loose, they will have to come back later. Personally, I would rather help you out than have to come back.
If it weren't for having to remove and replace the screws in the top of the cabinet, I don't know if I would fool with the POCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.