12/2 UF wire in 1/2" PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Oh but I see your point. So technically it's not heat even though they say it is? So confusing
There are two separate issues one is fill based on the size of the conductor and the raceway the other is derating due to more than 3 CCC's in the raceway. They really have nothing to do with each other.

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
Because its underneath a trailer that has a steel bottom. nothing to staple to.
There are two separate issues one is fill based on the size of the conductor and the raceway the other is derating due to more than 3 CCC's in the raceway. They really have nothing to do with each other.
I still dont understand the 3 CCC you keep mentioning. are you saying the ground is a current carrying conductor?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I still dont understand the 3 CCC you keep mentioning. are you saying the ground is a current carrying conductor?
He is not saying that you have 3 CCC, he is saying that derating starts at 4 CCC. And the EGC is not a CCC at all. The neutral in an MWBC typically is a CCC, but under specific circumstances (e.g. full boat) it is still not counted for derating purposes.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Oh but I see your point. So technically it's not heat even though they say it is? So confusing

It is heat related. The number impacts the way the way the conductors twist and turn around each other in the conduit. After 3 conductors it becomes likely that 1 conductor may always find itself stuck below the other conductors and therefore not be able to dissipate heat as well.

As far as using the widest part of the elliptical cable, as infinity said, it is about the cable being free to turn and twist as it is pulled through the conduit without being damaged.

Can you replace at least 1 TA with a cable clamp, so you have a bunch of glued together physical protection items rather than a conduit run?

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
I could. I have 2 junctions in the crawl at fs boxes If i put 4 in (2 on each box) that would make every end breathable. Would that work?

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
How fa
It is heat related. The number impacts the way the way the conductors twist and turn around each other in the conduit. After 3 conductors it becomes likely that 1 conductor may always find itself stuck below the other conductors and therefore not be able to dissipate heat as well.

As far as using the widest part of the elliptical cable, as infinity said, it is about the cable being free to turn and twist as it is pulled through the conduit without being damaged.

Can you replace at least 1 TA with a cable clamp, so you have a bunch of glued together physical protection items rather than a conduit run?
How far of a gap should I leave between each pipe and the fs box? Enough to get a strap within 8 inches?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
12/2 uf is 463X183 mils according to southwire. So it is .07 sq. in which means it should fit. I used to sleeve 2-12/2 nm in 1/2" but that was a bare

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Code mixes everything up into a 'simplified' set of rules to follow. If you look for corner cases you will break the physics of things and just get confused.

For example, code requires you to 'derate' if you have too many conductors in a single raceway. But there is no allowance made for the size of the raceway. You could have ten #12 conductors in a 1" EMT or a 6" GRC and code would have the exact same derating requirements.

I believe that the main reason for conduit fill requirements is the issue of being able to insert conductors. Nothing to do with heating or air flow.

IMHO in the situation that you described, the PVC and the UF were actually a good combination. What I suggest you might have done differently was to run the UF from the first box stapled or whatever to get from the box down to the metal below the trailer, then simply gone into a PVC sleeve for the length of the run, then exited the PVC and returned to stapled fastening going to the second box.

-Jon

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Right here:
300.17 Number and Size of Conductors in Raceway. The number and size of conductors in any raceway shall not be
more than will permit dissipation of the heat
and ready installation or withdrawal of the conductors without damage to the
conductors or to their insulation.

As far as derating for more than 3 CCC's in a raceway the NEC doesn't care if it's ½" or 6" conduit, you get no credit for the additional air in a larger raceway.
Yep, both heat and chafing are accounted for.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Code mixes everything up into a 'simplified' set of rules to follow. If you look for corner cases you will break the physics of things and just get confused.

For example, code requires you to 'derate' if you have too many conductors in a single raceway. But there is no allowance made for the size of the raceway. You could have ten #12 conductors in a 1" EMT or a 6" GRC and code would have the exact same derating requirements.

-Jon
I am not sure it's a mixup. There is no pratical application where you'll have say 25 CCC's and the conduit radius is so large that they all lay flat in the conduit. The common scenario is that some CCC's will be surrounded by others thereby creating a heat "issue", hence derating. Why the # 3, I dunno.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
And they're two completely different requirements that have nothing to do with each other.
That's what is mentioned a few times. Two separate issues wrapped up into the same "fill rules". And at least from my perspective, they do have something to do with each other, at least within that NEC version, because the fill rules tell the reader s/he must run some math on two things when sticking wires and cables in a raceway/conduit.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
sometimes there is a gap between top of beam and underbelly so cable can go over beam instead of under

and wooden wedges top of piers to staple to

does not answer your question but may explain why I don't know the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.