12/3 homeruns

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.B.C.E

Just wanted to see how someone would handle this situation, we got called to finish a house that was already roughed in and sheetrock was up. After going through it someone had pulled 12/3 homeruns everywhere and the permit is under the 08 code. What to do now to fix the problem of the arc-fault breakers is the question to meet the 08 code.

macmikeman

What brand of panel was used? There are some 2 pole ark fault breakers on the market. You might be able to match up if you are lucky, but the price tag multiplier is approx 1.5 times using single pole ark faults.

ultramegabob

depending on how much load you have on a circuit, couldnt you just tie both the black and red together on one breaker? if its a homeline panel, you could just double land them on the breaker to tie them together.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you can't double up the 3 wire circuits, find a company that makes 2-pole AFCI breakers and change the panel or just install a subpanel with only the AFCI's.

cadpoint

depending on how much load you have on a circuit, couldnt you just tie both the black and red together on one breaker? if its a homeline panel, you could just double land them on the breaker to tie them together.

I don't think a AFCI breaker is dual rated and that application would seem to defeat the purpuse ?

cadpoint

Just wanted to see how someone would handle this situation, we got called to finish a house that was already roughed in and sheetrock was up. After going through it someone had pulled 12/3 homeruns everywhere and the permit is under the 08 code. What to do now to fix the problem of the arc-fault breakers is the question to meet the 08 code.

Eaton and Siemens show up on the search engines as existing, using, "2 pole arc fault breaker".

Siemens makes a combo two pole Arc Fault breaker. If you need all of the circuits changing the panel may be your only option.

If one is following the 2008 NEC, "Combination Type" AFCIs are required.
I do not believe that any manufacturer has made available to the market a 2-pole AFCI device yet. I have the Seimens paperwork, but the local supply house tells me they are not available here yet.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

No you cant parallel 12awg conductors, too small. Only 1/0 and larger unless the exception is met and its not in this application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.