12 gauge 25amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why is 12 rated for 25 amps, yet the maximum fuse is 20?

Actually you can fuse it higher depending on the application, read 240.4(D) and go on to the other sections mentioned for the whole picture.

Roger

480sparky

Why is 12 rated for 25 amps, yet the maximum fuse is 20?

The first part of your statement is only partially correct. 12 can be rated for 30, 25, or 20 amps, depending on the insulation.

In most cases, you will be limited to 20 amps by 240.4(D). But in some cases, you can use the ampacity listed in T310.16 per 240.4(G).

Saywatt

Nope and not a great idea due to voltage drop.

It's a short run and there wasn't much in the way of dimming at the end of the line. My concern is 19.8 amps on 12 for long periods.

I could put a 20amp inline fuse in, but how long would it hold?

raider1

Staff member
It's a short run and there wasn't much in the way of dimming at the end of the line. My concern is 19.8 amps on 12 for long periods.

I could put a 20amp inline fuse in, but how long would it hold?

A 20 amp inline fuse would most likely never blow at 19.8 amps.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
VD wasn't a problem.

Oh you have voltage drop, it is just a mater of if it concernes you.

1.2 volts lost on a 12 volt circuit is 10% and 19 amps on 12 AWG will drop 1.2 volts in just a very short run.

As far as the loading, if you think it is going to be run for periods exceeding three hours it is a continuous loads so you have to use at least a 25 amp fuse and conductor.

480sparky

I think that the small conductor rule has been in the code for so long that nobody can remember the reason that it was put in the code in the first place.

Chris

The 'small conductor rule' first shows up in 1956, at the bottom of Table 1, Chapter 10 (it's now T310.16):

"The current-carrying capacities for Type RHH conductors for sizes 14, 12 and 10 shall be the same as designated for Type RH conductors in this Table." This put 14, 12 and 10 RHH at 15, 20 and 30 amps respectively. RH was a 75?C conductor, and RHH was a 90?C conductor.

Why? I don't know... he's on third.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.