120/240, Coding white wire with red tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricko1980

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,

I'm having a debate with a local solar installer about recoding wires for wire sizes AWG 6 or smaller. The AHJ here in San Francisco generally let us re-code 12/2 Romex into use for a 240 circuit by fully taping the accessible portion of the white wire red, thereby providing a 2-wire circuit with a red and a black only (no grounded conductor). This is for pure 240 appliances like heat pumps, which take no grounded conductor.

The solar guy is saying that this kind of tape-based coding can only be done for AWG 4 and larger. My understanding is that this is true for neutral and grounded wires, but that ungrounded conductors can be coded by tape even at a smaller size. I'm looking at 210.5(C) and 215.12(C), but maybe someone else has a better reference since these only talk about systems with more than one nominal voltage, and DC systems, and I'm looking at AC circuits, which are only mentioned in passing in the commentary to 215.12(C).

Thanks for your thoughts, I'd appreciate if someone could clarify this for me,

Ricko

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The rules for cable assemblies are different than those for individual conductors in raceways.

Cables allow for re-coloring of the white. Wires #6 and smaller are readily available in colors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The AHJ here in San Francisco generally let us re-code 12/2 Romex into use for a 240 circuit by fully taping the accessible portion of the white wire red, thereby providing a 2-wire circuit with a red and a black only (no grounded conductor). This is for pure 240 appliances like heat pumps, which take no grounded conductor.
The NEC permits white conductor re-identification in cable assemblies as Larry stated. Also the entire visible length does not need to re-identified one turn of tape around the conductor is all that is required.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
As said cable assemblies can have the white wire re-identified.

Generally white and green conductor insulation is off limits whether #6 and smaller or #4 and larger, there are some exceptions
NEC 200.6
NEC 250.119

kwired

Electron manager
The NEC permits white conductor re-identification in cable assemblies as Larry stated. Also the entire visible length does not need to re-identified one turn of tape around the conductor is all that is required.
All I have ever done for the most part. Well maybe more than one turn but only one tape width is all I ever apply. Same when identifying #4 or larger grounded and equipment grounding conductors. I've seen installs with so much green or white tape that it kind of makes you wonder why they didn't just purchase white or green conductor in the first place.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
San Francisco has local ammendments to 210.5 and 215.5, which make the standard color conventions a requirement (except for a unique color purple requirement for high legs).

But I don't think that changes the rules about reidentifying conductors in cables.

The rules for cable assemblies are different than those for individual conductors in raceways.

Cables allow for re-coloring of the white. Wires #6 and smaller are readily available in colors.
While I have thought this and agreed with it, I don't actually see where the NEC spells it out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
San Francisco has local ammendments to 210.5 and 215.5, which make the standard color conventions a requirement (except for a unique color purple requirement for high legs).

But I don't think that changes the rules about reidentifying conductors in cables.

While I have thought this and agreed with it, I don't actually see where the NEC spells it out.
Are you looking for 200.7(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.