1200 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

I have no idea what you mean by six divisions of load.

It is code compliant to have six (sometimes more) service disconnect grouped in one location at one building.

For example: Coming down the pole with overhead lines feeding 6 separate pumping panels. You need a main.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

kbsparky

The more I read stuff like that, the more I appreciate the POCO here for supplying meters free.
Yeah, it's a Virginia thing.

I find it is still more economical to supply my own meter/main combo panel than to use the "free" socket provided by the POCO.

And, I don't have to make that separate trip down just to pick up the socket. ;)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
For example: Coming down the pole with overhead lines feeding 6 separate pumping panels. You need a main.

It's very common, we always take advantage of the six disconnect rule. We have one such service:

padmount transformer-->metering gear-->5-200HP pump panels. Each one being a service disconnect, all side by side. That'd be one big expensive main to put ahead of all those pump panels....

hurk27

Wouldn't six 200 amp main breaker panels, a section of trough and the other accessories you would need be under $1000?

Just a thought. :)

I did a large trucking firm/ dispatch center about 2 years ago, and 6 MB load centers not only provided the necessary breaker spaces, it was by far the cheapest, the only problem I had was finding a 3/0 x 6 lugs for the CT cabinet, that didn't hit the door.
But there are many options to the connections of the SEC's to the panel, and without a main disconnect, they have to be located close to each other.

But it was way less then 400's or a 1200.
smaller conductors, and having many more breaker spaces, was a win, win for this install and saved thousands to boot.:D

Power Tech

It's very common, we always take advantage of the six disconnect rule. We have one such service:

padmount transformer-->metering gear-->5-200HP pump panels. Each one being a service disconnect, all side by side. That'd be one big expensive main to put ahead of all those pump panels....

So are you agreeing with me? 5 handles no main?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

Please correct me if I am wrong.

It's very common, we always take advantage of the six disconnect rule.

So are you agreeing with me? 5 handles no main?

I must not be understanding what you're getting at. What I think you're saying is that you think there should only be one switch to kill all the power. What I, and the others are saying is that using the six disconnect rule you are allowed up to six switches to kill all the power as long as they are grouped. Does that make sense? But, if you have more than six disconnects, then you must have one main disconnect ahead of all of them.

Art. 230 part V

Power Tech

I must not be understanding what you're getting at. What I think you're saying is that you think there should only be one switch to kill all the power. What I, and the others are saying is that using the six disconnect rule you are allowed up to six switches to kill all the power as long as they are grouped. Does that make sense? But, if you have more than six disconnects, then you must have one main disconnect ahead of all of them.

Art. 230 part V

Okay, I see, more than 6 then a main.

I'm one disconnect short.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.