120V receptacle in bathroom with steam generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
That would not be how I interpret UPC 408.5. I think that with a curbless shower you get to draw an imaginary line that defines the outlines of the shower, consistent with the minimum size requirements. Often it's pretty clear where to draw that line, but with a "shower room" type install as in the OP, it's not at all clear.

Note that 2018 UPC 408.5's last sentence says "the immediate adjoining space to showers without thresholds shall be considered a wet location and shall comply with the requirements of the building, residential, and electrical codes." So that raises the question of how far the wet area should extend, particularly in a shower room like in the OP. One could argue that the whole room should be considered a wet room.

Of course, we don't know if the OP is in a jurisdiction that has adopted the UPC rather than the IPC or one of the other possibilities.

Cheers, Wayne
How did you come up with that? nothing in the code says draw an imaginary line, it does say the minimum threshold is 2" above the finish drain.

"In no case, shall a dam or threshold be less than 2 inches (51 mm) or exceeding 9 inches (229 mm) in depth where measured from the top of the dam or threshold to the top of the drain".

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
"In no case, shall a dam or threshold be less than 2 inches (51 mm) or exceeding 9 inches (229 mm) in depth where measured from the top of the dam or threshold to the top of the drain".
That says "if you have a dam or threshold, it must be at least 2" above the drain.". It does not require a dam or threshold; if you don't have one (curbless), there is no requirement or restriction imposed by that sentence.

Cheers, Wayne

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
That says "if you have a dam or threshold, it must be at least 2" above the drain.". It does not require a dam or threshold; if you don't have one (curbless), there is no requirement or restriction imposed by that sentence.

Cheers, Wayne
And no where does it say "draw an imaginary line". most AHJs in your area use 2" above the finish drain as the "imaginary line" for the threshold.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
And no where does it say "draw an imaginary line". most AHJs in your area use 2" above the finish drain as the "imaginary line" for the threshold.
Obviously a line has to be drawn, and as it may not correspond to any physical feature of the shower, it may be an imaginary line. Not sure why you seem to find that terminology offensive. The proposal to draw the line at the 2" elevation contour relative to the top of the drain is a plausible one, but not specified by the UPC. So if one needed to draw the line farther out or farther in to comply with some other portion of the UPC or other codes, that would be fine.

This is mostly an issue for a layout like in the OP where it is really unclear where the shower ends. When there is a door or other narrowing that defines an entrance, that would indicate where the boundary lies.

Cheers, Wayne

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If you live in million dollar home where family members are steam room freaks and making a boatload of money--that model should fit the bill.

There is a money saving alternative—you can make your own steam generator.

All you need is a pressure cooker.

It uses 980 watts of power.

You can install two units if you like.

I haven’t used mine for almost a decade since my grown-up kids went on their own.

Yeah, you can spend $5000 to install a 7500 watts, 240 volts one.

Mine uses gas with option to switch to propane.

Fish
I'll bet a roomful of 980watt pressure cookers will look great in a brand new bathroom. Ma and Pa Kettle will love it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

garbo

Hello All,
I received a question from one of our inspectors today as to whether or not a receptacle may be located in a room with a steam generator. The room is approx 10'6' in length and a shower is located on one end. A tub is located in the middle area, and a lavatory sink is located opposite from the shower receptor area (about 10'6" away).
The contractor is proposing to install steam generator in this room. I directed the inspector to get the installation instructions for the steam generator but thought it would be a good question to pose here. Is a receptacle permitted to be installed a room with a steam generator? If not, please provide a code reference.
Thank you
P.S. I'm attaching a drawing of the proposed room.
I would ask the AHU on their option. If it was me might ask if I can use a quality hinged cover for the 120 volt receptacle if nothing has to be more or less always plugged into it. A heavy duty outdoor bubble cover has holes for cord that would allow moisture entrance. Going back to the quality flip cover outdoor receptacle covers. I installed two Hubbell marine grade heavy duty hinged covers on two outdoor receptacles on my house over 45 years ago. Still working great. Only thing that I did was paint the bright yellow covers with a few coats of white paint. Let us know how you did this work. I worked at a large slaughterhouse then a large candy plant where water entrance was a major problem but with the proper supplies and sealing methods not so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.