14 tied to 12 on 20 amp breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a house where all the home runs back to the panel are in 12 but at the switches and outlets etc. are run in 14.Can this be done?

shepelec

As long as they are on 15A breakers, yes. They should be labled to indicate this as well.

This could have been done for voltage drop.

btharmy

Back in the day, some would use #14 for switch legs or travelers on three ways. It doesn't change the fact that as soon as you use #14 wire on a circuit, it then becomes a 15a breaker requirement in a residential, structural wiring situation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with the previous three answers. But unlike the members who posted those answers, I read the title of this thread. ;):D

No, it is not acceptable to have part of a circuit fed by #14 wire, if the breaker is (as you have told us) a 20 amp breaker.

I will add my own "Welcome to the forum."

cds9044

Was failed by local inspector back this past winter for similar install. According to him, "it don't matter if it is going to be on a 15amp breaker or not - you can't mix #12 and #14 in a circuit." That was his answer when I asked for code reference.

jetlag

Was failed by local inspector back this past winter for similar install. According to him, "it don't matter if it is going to be on a 15amp breaker or not - you can't mix #12 and #14 in a circuit." That was his answer when I asked for code reference.

The ahj has probably had some bad experience with people wanting 20 amp recepts on #12 but they want to use #14 on the light circuits and it is easy to tie the switch into a recept below it , so they tell the ahj all is 15 amp breakers , soon as he leaves the 20 's go back in . Maybe he got wise to that , or maybe he just thinks it is a violation even with the 15 amp breakers :grin:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Because it isn't code...
Where are you getting that from? You are saying you can't splice a larger conductor onto a smaller one with a circuit that protects the smallest conductor used?
His choice of wording was a bit unclear, perhaps. But I think his intended meaning was, "Because it isn't (in violation of any) code (requirement)," and not, "Because it isn't (in compliance with) code." In other words, I believe he agrees with you.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree with the previous three answers. But unlike the members who posted those answers, I read the title of this thread. ;):D

No, it is not acceptable to have part of a circuit fed by #14 wire, if the breaker is (as you have told us) a 20 amp breaker.

I will add my own "Welcome to the forum."
Ditto on the welcome. :)

Knowing the consensus (with emphasis), the wording of the Code regarding branch circuit taps leaves me wondering. Let's start at 210.19(A)(1), (2) and (4). If we have a 16A continuous or 20A non-continuous branch circuit load, #14 Cu meets the requirement using Table 310.16. So we go to 210.20(A) and put the circuit on a 20A breaker, then we go to 210.20(B) which sends us to 240.4.

Going through the requirements of 240.4, everything is fine until we get to 240.4(D)(3) which limits #14 copper to a 15A OCPD... unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G). For this we'll say (G) doesn't apply, so the only possibility in relief of 240.4(D)(3) is 240.4(E)(3) "240.21, Location in Circuit".

We go to 240.21 where the general applies along with subsection (A) which states, "Branch-circuit tap conductors meeting the requirements specified in 210.19 shall be permitted to have overcurrent protection as specified in 210.20." So back to 210.19 we go... but that is where we started and determined #14 copper met it's requirements only this time we are dubbing it as a tap conductor because of 240.21(A). This is where the wording gets squirrelly. So where does it say this #14 tap conductor is not permitted in 210.19?

Last edited:

jumper

Ditto on the welcome. :)

Knowing the consensus (with emphasis), the wording of the Code regarding branch circuit taps leaves me wondering. Let's start at 210.19(A)(1), (2) and (4). If we have a 16A continuous or 20A non-continuous branch circuit load, #14 Cu meets the requirement using Table 310.16. So we go to 210.20(A) and put the circuit on a 20A breaker, then we go to 210.20(B) which sends us to 240.4.

Going through the requirements of 240.4, everything is fine until we get to 240.4(D)(3) which limits #14 copper to a 15A OCPD... unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G). For this we'll say (G) doesn't apply, so the only possibility in relief of 240.4(D)(3) is 240.4(E)(3) "240.21, Location in Circuit".

We go to 240.21 where the general applies along with subsection (A) which states, "Branch-circuit tap conductors meeting the requirements specified in 210.19 shall be permitted to have overcurrent protection as specified in 210.20." So back to 210.19 we go... but that is where we started and determined #14 copper met it's requirements only this time we are dubbing it as a tap conductor because of 240.21(A). This is where the wording gets squirrelly. So where does it say this #14 tap conductor is not permitted in 210.19?

Stirring the pot. Troublemaker.:grin::grin::grin: I ain't touching this one.:)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Because it isn't code...

Where are you getting that from? You are saying you can't splice a larger conductor onto a smaller one with a circuit that protects the smallest conductor used?

Shoulda specified... Just because an inspector says you can't do it doesn't mean it's code...

I wasn't very clear. You can certainly add 12 ga to a 15 amp protected circuit

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

So this, ahem, inspector doesn't allow you to compensate for voltage drop?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.