1500W Incandescent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
I never saw a GES other than 500W; a 1500W bulb I find..... wild!

They are =sweet=.

Before Dad became a real General Contractor (he moonlighted as an architect before that), he had a couple of Mogul base bulbs. One of which was 1,500 watts. He'd use them to turn the inside of a house into daylight before the sheetrock went up.

The last house we built in New Orleans was weathered-in around Thanksgiving of 1975. Dad strung a 1,500 watt bulb from the peak of the den's vaulted ceiling and lit the entire den, the dining room that was adjacent, and into the kitchen and breakfast area.

We then had Thanksgiving dinner in what was an otherwise miserably uncomfortable house with no heat, except the fireplace.

And not to say a 500 or 1,000 watt bulb wouldn't have done the trick, but not the same way that monster did.

kwired

Electron manager
They are =sweet=.

Before Dad became a real General Contractor (he moonlighted as an architect before that), he had a couple of Mogul base bulbs. One of which was 1,500 watts. He'd use them to turn the inside of a house into daylight before the sheetrock went up.

The last house we built in New Orleans was weathered-in around Thanksgiving of 1975. Dad strung a 1,500 watt bulb from the peak of the den's vaulted ceiling and lit the entire den, the dining room that was adjacent, and into the kitchen and breakfast area.

We then had Thanksgiving dinner in what was an otherwise miserably uncomfortable house with no heat, except the fireplace.

And not to say a 500 or 1,000 watt bulb wouldn't have done the trick, but not the same way that monster did.

You had a 1500 watt heater near the ceiling, all you needed was a fan to push some of the heat around a little:)

broadgage

Wow , that website has 277V bulbs that are a standard base. I wonder how many 120V bulbs would get screwed into that socket before someone realizes something is amiss.:grin:

I used to buy these from the USA for use on UK 240 volt supplies, when lamp life was important, and efficiency less so.
No need now with long lasting CFLs, but very useful in the old days.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
You had a 1500 watt heater near the ceiling, all you needed was a fan to push some of the heat around a little:)

1500 watts is not a lot of heat, relative to a fireplace. Especially a fireplace being fed construction debris. Like cardboard boxes. That required my skilled use of a fire extinguisher to solve several times ...

I tell some clients that it's okay to replace CFL bulbs with incandescents during the winter since all that heat is more or less useful. I have several "net zero" clients and the wasted electricity is more eco-friendly than burning natural gas.

kwired

Electron manager
1500 watts is not a lot of heat, relative to a fireplace. Especially a fireplace being fed construction debris. Like cardboard boxes. That required my skilled use of a fire extinguisher to solve several times ...

I tell some clients that it's okay to replace CFL bulbs with incandescents during the winter since all that heat is more or less useful. I have several "net zero" clients and the wasted electricity is more eco-friendly than burning natural gas.

Fireplace consumes a lot of wood, you are warmer because you are constantly working to keep the fire fed:)

Some fireplaces are more effecient than others at putting heat into the room but all are still pretty ineffecient - more energy escapes up the chimney than enters the room to be heated. I have been without power for 3 days or more during cold weather twice the last five years. Our fireplace did not provide as much heat as I hoped it would when I installed it. If you were sitting right in front of it you were warm from radiant heat, everywhere else in the house was slowly getting colder. Plus I spent more time trying to keep wood ready to feed the thing than I did doing much of anything else.

BTW be careful what you do burn if it is construction debris. You shouldn't burn treated lumber, plywood, and other manufactured framing members or anything with paint, polyurethane, or other finishes on it, these can give off toxic fumes. Untreated, unfinished wood is ok. Paper and cardboard should only be used sparingly to help get your wood started, they like to emit flying embers that will go right up the flue and could stil be buring when they exit and land on something else starting a fire outside or even on your roof.

OK enough off topic comments.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I had a 240v halogen left over and decided to mount it in my garage with a cord and plug (20a-240v). I turn it on to cure paint. If I spray a tool or something I turn it on and it heats up the surface nicely. The light is aprox 8 feet high.

Status
Not open for further replies.