15amp square D tandem breaker issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_double_u

New User
Occupation
Maintenance Worker
I have a circuit in a panel that is running a HomeT 15amp tandem breaker. One side feeds the furnace and one side feeds a LED lighting circuit (4 cans on a dimmer) and a set of 5 plugs with a GFCI at the end of the run. Not ideal but I did not do the initial install. The LED cans function fine but I have no power to the receptacles. Story goes the tenant was running a hair dryer and flatiron on an extention cord and the circuit stopped working. All receptacles and wires have been checked but no sign of damage. Question: Could one side of the tandem breaker be damaged from over heating enough to run the smaller load of the LED but not allow the full load of both LED and receptacles to function?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a circuit in a panel that is running a HomeT 15amp tandem breaker. One side feeds the furnace and one side feeds a LED lighting circuit (4 cans on a dimmer) and a set of 5 plugs with a GFCI at the end of the run. Not ideal but I did not do the initial install. The LED cans function fine but I have no power to the receptacles. Story goes the tenant was running a hair dryer and flatiron on an extention cord and the circuit stopped working. All receptacles and wires have been checked but no sign of damage. Question: Could one side of the tandem breaker be damaged from over heating enough to run the smaller load of the LED but not allow the full load of both LED and receptacles to function?
Have you checked the voltage at the terminal of the breaker that controls this. Sounds like you need to do that, then check for voltage at the GFCI. If you have correct voltage present at each, then the GFCI is either tripped or bad, or maybe a burnt wire at the GFCI or 1st receptacle. You wouldn't have the LEDs working and not the receptacles with a bad breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe check neutral conductors if you haven't.

LED's might operate though probably not at full brightness even if there is poor connection but good enough to pass some current.

Status
Not open for further replies.