15yr Old Generac Never Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolangro

sub panel

sub panel

I am guessing that the 100 amp sub panel you referred to is the transfer switch combo panel that generic ships with the lower kw generators. this would be the proper way to install a 10 kw generator. my experience is that places like lowe's and home depo will try to sell you a 200 amp whole house transfer switch and tell you it will run you whole house, and the generic service department says it is ok to do this too, my question is how do they expect a 50 amp breaker in the generator to supply enough power to run everything in a 200 amp service home, I truly believe that the installation companies for generic need to be state licensed electricians not hvac companies or department stores. I feel sorry for the consumer who shelled out 4000 dollars and finds out that he can not run his ac/dryer/water heater and stove after the thunder storm knocks out his power. just venting sorry

kwired

Electron manager
I am guessing that the 100 amp sub panel you referred to is the transfer switch combo panel that generic ships with the lower kw generators. this would be the proper way to install a 10 kw generator. my experience is that places like lowe's and home depo will try to sell you a 200 amp whole house transfer switch and tell you it will run you whole house, and the generic service department says it is ok to do this too, my question is how do they expect a 50 amp breaker in the generator to supply enough power to run everything in a 200 amp service home, I truly believe that the installation companies for generic need to be state licensed electricians not hvac companies or department stores. I feel sorry for the consumer who shelled out 4000 dollars and finds out that he can not run his ac/dryer/water heater and stove after the thunder storm knocks out his power. just venting sorry
You can run the whole house (sort of) if over 50 amps if you use load shedding methods. Big box stores don't install them either, they may hire contractors for you to install them, they are taking some profit on the installation also, possibly hiring guys that will work for about anything just to have some work, buyer beware.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I hear that. If your dryer and water heater are both all-electric, you're going to be mighty unhappy come lights out. My WH and dryer are gas. I figured out some time ago that with the exception of my A/C I could run everything else in the house off of a 7kW genny with no problem. Power outage in November, not a problem. In August...going to be uncomfortable for a while.

kwired

Electron manager
I hear that. If your dryer and water heater are both all-electric, you're going to be mighty unhappy come lights out. My WH and dryer are gas. I figured out some time ago that with the exception of my A/C I could run everything else in the house off of a 7kW genny with no problem. Power outage in November, not a problem. In August...going to be uncomfortable for a while.
Your AC probably will run, unless it is over 2.5-3 ton unit, just getting it started is likely the bigger problem.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Your AC probably will run, unless it is over 2.5-3 ton unit, just getting it started is likely the bigger problem.

Yeah, I think I calculated I'd need a 20kW to handle the in-rush for the A/C. I can't see spending that much extra for that result. It's all somewhat moot, as I never pulled the trigger on the install.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, I think I calculated I'd need a 20kW to handle the in-rush for the A/C. I can't see spending that much extra for that result. It's all somewhat moot, as I never pulled the trigger on the install.

I have a 3 ton geothermal heat pump, I have a 8000 watt portable generator. I can start the heat pump with it but you have to make sure there is very limited other loads running, and it will be hard starting but once it is running you can add other loads, the thing only pulls 6 amps in heating mode at low stage. Of course the ability of the prime mover comes into play and you may not get this out of every 8000 watt generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.