1600 kW service, 3400 Amp conductors;

kwired

Electron manager
How do you know that? I assume it is a three phase bridge rectifier.
He mentiuoned: 1,600,000 divided by 480 = 3333.33 amps has to be single phase amps.

1,600,00 divided by 480 and also divided again by 1.732 = 1924.56 would be the three phase amps.

If DC output is 1600 kVA @ 480 volts then it will be 3333.33 amps on the DC side but three phase AC side is only 1924.56 amps.

herding_cats

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Correct I checked. But the data sheet from Tesla has 1600 kw as demand for the 480vac primary. Thanks for that correction.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The demand charge is the issue here with grid connection. If you pull that kind of demand, even just 1 time, you are stuck with the demand charge for the next 11 months. We’re talking about 1 charger here. So because of the low volume of trucks, it’s impossibly expensive to charge a low volume of trucks.

Right. If you have trucks charging 24x7, then the demand charge isn't much.

If you have a truck fast charging once in a blue moon, the demand charge is huge.

Jon

He mentiuoned: 1,600,000 divided by 480 = 3333.33 amps has to be single phase amps.

1,600,00 divided by 480 and also divided again by 1.732 = 1924.56 would be the three phase amps.

If DC output is 1600 kVA @ 480 volts then it will be 3333.33 amps on the DC side but three phase AC side is only 1924.56 amps.
Oh right of course, sorry I glanced over that part of it

The demand charge is the issue here with grid connection. If you pull that kind of demand, even just 1 time, you are stuck with the demand charge for the next 11 months.

Not all utilities have that "ratchet clause" where the demand stays at the peak for months even if you don't use it. If you are investigating this for 900 locations, I think you're going to find big variation in construction cost, demand charges, etc so it might take different approaches in different areas

herding_cats

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
We’re just trying to get this to make sense to the truck stop chain. They don’t see the grid connection usable to them, because of the demand charge costs. And who pays for the half-million $$ battery bank?

Another problem is what does the truck behind you do if you charge in front of them and you drain the battery from the charging station. ??

What then?
Funny it took till post 56 for someone to catch the amps calc math error ! 🤣
right. I’m rusty. I’ve spent the last 12 years developing low volt HVAC controls. But yes I forgot about the square root of 3. The Tesla data sheet did not list any amperage. Only 480vac
1,600 kW

herding_cats

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
He did. My first thought was that only motor loads are calculated that way. Again my HVAC brain goes immediately to compressor and blowers. Thank you LarryFine.

I’m working on this project alone. The group review is Friday someone and would have caught that. Makes me feel better about conductor sizing and the costs of copper. The gas company is subsidizing the piping and extra valve, shutoff, yellow paint and the burial, concrete flat work.

kwired

Electron manager
We’re just trying to get this to make sense to the truck stop chain. They don’t see the grid connection usable to them, because of the demand charge costs. And who pays for the half-million $$ battery bank?

Another problem is what does the truck behind you do if you charge in front of them and you drain the battery from the charging station. ??

What then?

right. I’m rusty. I’ve spent the last 12 years developing low volt HVAC controls. But yes I forgot about the square root of 3. The Tesla data sheet did not list any amperage. Only 480vac
1,600 kW
I assuming this thing capable of charging multiple trucks at a time and has maximum rating of 1600 kW? If so unless you expect it to run at maximum rating for any amount of time I bet POCO doesn't supply you with 1600kVA transformer for it. Especially if they figure out it only sees 50% of that most of the time they likely only putting in maybe 750 kVA transformer. However from NEC perspective your supply conductors still needs be able to handle full rating as a general rule.

There is lots of services out there that have undersized POCO transformers on them in comparison to the incoming service conductors. Typical dwellings are a good example as well. Lots of 200 amp services out there and only supplied by a 15 or 25 kVA transformer which are only 62.5 and 104 amp transformers. POCO's know they won't be loaded very high and if they are will be for short duration.

herding_cats

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is a 50kW level three charger powered by an 80hp micro turbine with a recouporator hx.

Charger is really sweet it’s data driven. It knows what EV you have when you connect.

herding_cats

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The data sheet for the semi charger shows only 1 charge cable. It’s rated at 1600 kW by nameplate.

herding_cats

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I assuming this thing capable of charging multiple trucks at a time and has maximum rating of 1600 kW? If so unless you expect it to run at maximum rating for any amount of time I bet POCO doesn't supply you with 1600kVA transformer for it. Especially if they figure out it only sees 50% of that most of the time they likely only putting in maybe 750 kVA transformer. However from NEC perspective your supply conductors still needs be able to handle full rating as a general rule.

There is lots of services out there that have undersized POCO transformers on them in comparison to the incoming service conductors. Typical dwellings are a good example as well. Lots of 200 amp services out there and only supplied by a 15 or 25 kVA transformer which are only 62.5 and 104 amp transformers. POCO's know they won't be loaded very high and if they are will be for short duration.
But POCOs hate intermittent power use. It wrecks things for them.