2.00kva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timboe

I have a transformer rated at 2.00kva I take this as meaning that I can have a load of up to 20amps on this transformer. Is this correct or should i only load this up to 16 or 18 amps to be save?
Thanks Tim

bphgravity

No. It means the transformer is good for 2,000 VA or 2,000 WATTS. To determine the rating in amperes, you need to know the voltage rating of the transformer. Using Ohm's Law, I = W/V, the current can be determined.

StephenSDH

2,000VA / 120 = 16.666Amps

The transformer is rated, and is designed to to be operated at 16.66666 amps. This is why they let you use a 125% rated breaker. So you can utilize the full 16.6 amps. A 20 A breaker would suit nicely and your loads can be designed for 16 amps.

brian john

2,000VA / 120 = 16.666Amps

The transformer is rated, and is designed to to be operated at 16.66666 amps. This is why they let you use a 125% rated breaker. So you can utilize the full 16.6 amps. A 20 A breaker would suit nicely and your loads can be designed for 16 amps.

I think you can forget the hundredths and beyond for practical purposes (heck drop the tenths and no one will penalize you).

Status
Not open for further replies.