2-gang single receptacle plates/configuration

2-gang single receptacle plates are only available at certain electrical supply houses. A colleague of mine said he has purchased them in stainless steel at Lowes. When I inquired about them (as I could not find them where my colleague said they were at) the electrical department employee insisted that they are not allowed per NEC anymore. I find that hard to believe. The most common configuration I have been utilizing the past several years is a 2-gang box, either plastic or metal w/2G ring -preferably deep(er) ring with (2) separate #12-2 NM cable branch circuits ran back to loadcenter utilizing dual function AFCI/GFCI circuit breakers. And if no 'air switch' is used the a #12-2 NM switch loop up to a 20A switch on wall next to sink. My question is: Why is this Lowes electrical department associate insisting that they do not carry "2-gang single receptacle plates" anymore because they are "not code compliant"?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
My question is: Why is this Lowes electrical department associate insisting that they do not carry "2-gang single receptacle plates" anymore because they are "not code compliant"?
I don't think anyone can answer that. However, (there's always a however in life), if you are an electrician, take your code book and have the associate show you.
I personally have never seen a 2 gang single outlet plate. 😳

Ron

I've seen dual simplex raised steel, a.k.a indy covers once in my life. I think the reason they are so rare is there is no need for them when all you need to do is break the tabs on a duplex receptacle if you want two circuits.
You can only use a duplex with broken tab if you utilize only (1) 20A, 120V cct. If you are running a 12-3 NM cable and using each phase wire on each of two receptacles that is not code. The device is only rated for 125V, not 250 (240) volts. You may be able to run (2) 12-2 NM cables and utilize a duplex receptacle but why? all that wire on one device? Seems like a lot more work and headache than just two singles.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You can only use a duplex with broken tab if you utilize only (1) 20A, 120V cct. If you are running a 12-3 NM cable and using each phase wire on each of two receptacles that is not code. The device is only rated for 125V, not 250 (240) volts. You may be able to run (2) 12-2 NM cables and utilize a duplex receptacle but why? all that wire on one device? Seems like a lot more work and headache than just two singles.
With the tabs broken, you won't have 240V on each receptacle, you will only have 120v on each. This is done everyday.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With the tabs broken, you won't have 240V on each receptacle, you will only have 120v on each. This is done everyday.
I agree very common installation and not violation. Poor design maybe but permitted.
ecmweb_5317_212ecmcbfig1.png

I was recently looking for a 2 gang plate but with a single single receptacle hole. Actually I think I found it with a 1.41" hole but not the larger 1.625 that I needed. I guess I'll have to punch and drill a blank out or use a raco 187 with a single raised cover