2-Section Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcengineer

I have a question...

The scenario. A 800A 208Y/120V MDP in the main electrical room feeds thru a 400A feeder breaker to section 1 of a 2-section panel HP1-S1 which is 400A main lug with feed thru lugs (this panel lives on the first floor elec closet serving branch lighting and power)..

Any reason why HP1-S1 cannot feed a second section HP1-S2 which will be a 400A, main lug (living in the 4th floor elec closet) fed from the feed thru lugs in section 1?

The question is can I use the feed thru lugs and locate the second section in a completely separate room on a different floor? Usually I see 2-section panels living side by side.

Thx

ohmhead

What !

What !

What about panel numbering and circuits these would be high numbers or is this a power distribution panel with large breakers on the section two na its only 400 amp so not much on amps well go for it i guess but why .

Guess you need to change the riser drawing and show it on the other floor seems odd to me code wise never heard of it but thats because no one has ever done that since Tesla invented the motor .

We see section one next to section two on every job the feeder is run thur lug to lug side by side section one to section two .

Why are you doing this is this a mistake or did someone circuit the other floor wrong and now we need to move panel up stairs just wondering why .

Take care .

Last edited by a moderator:

ggonza

wouldn't the sub feed to the second panel be considered a tap if its coming off of main lugs and going to otther main lugs. Therefore needing ocp within so many feet?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
wouldn't the sub feed to the second panel be considered a tap if its coming off of main lugs and going to otther main lugs. Therefore needing ocp within so many feet?
As long as the conductors (between sections) and the 2nd section are rated at or above the main breaker, it is not a tap. (see 240.2)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is a very common installation. I am currently working on a project that has more than ten instances of a first floor panel 'thru feeding' to second floor which then 'thru feeds' to the third floor.

iwire

Staff member
We have done a number of assisted living buildings and it was typical for a three phase feeder to leave the basement and head up vertically through the first, second and onto the third floor.

The feeder was three phase, but the panels were single phase feed through panels with a larger then normal enclosures to pass the conductors through.

On the first floor we would use A&B, second floor B&C and on the third floor A&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.