200 panel with another 200 amp subpanel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as long as the conductors are properly protected and your loads are sized, you can use any size panel you desire for a sub, 400, 600 etc.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Your original post stated "sub-panel". Although not NEC defined, a sub panel is normally though of as a panel fed from another, the second being protested by the first.
In a later post you mentioned coming from the meter pan to both panels. Normally that is not considered a "sub panel".
As mentioned, in the meter pan install, there are several factors.
a. Will the lugs rated to accept two wires ?
b. Is the calculated load within the rating of the conductors supplying the meter.
c. Do the conductors to the shop ever enter the residence ?
d. Will POCO accept (in some of the local jurisdictions, POCO prohibits such installs)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Part-Time, as Gus said, you are talking two different animals in your posts, you need to clarify whether you are talking about a sub-panel or service equipment.

Roger

Part-Time

i can either use a sub-panel off the first panel or run 2 200 amp panels out of the meter Socket with some double lugs.
i would like to know if i put double lugs on the meter socket can i run
2 200 amp panels off of it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
as stated....
you can.. IF
The calculated load does not exceed the ampacity of the conductors feedeing the meter socket or the rating of the socket itself.
(unless someone planned ahead it would be rare that your original socket met that criteria)

If the panels are serving (or enter) the same structure, you need to meet 230.72

Part-Time

it is a detached Storage that will be remodeled to a living space/shop
what would be the best way to supply a 200 amp panel to it.
it is about 200' from the existing panel.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
i can either use a sub-panel off the first panel or run 2 200 amp panels out of the meter Socket with some double lugs.
i would like to know if i put double lugs on the meter socket can i run
2 200 amp panels off of it.
You could also use a W/P gutter and splice your conductors to feed the two panels.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Well, have you done a calculation for both buildings, the answer to your question is more involved than just feeding a second panel.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Part time-- you cannot get a 200 amp supply out to the other structure if you are feeding the house also. Why not install a 400 amp double lug meter base and feed one panel for the house and the second 200 amp panel for the detached structure.

You can pull a 200 amp feeder but that will not give you 200 amps.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

The "best way" can only be determined by looking at a number of possibilities.
Will POCO serve it separately ? Not necessarily the most economical long range but perhaps the simplest.
Beyond that possibility, as Roger states, Step 1 is to calculate your load. including
projected load...both structures (You will need this to properly size your new line anyway as with 200ft, voltage drop may be an issue).
Most common arrangement I see if the existing panel won't supply, is to install a 400 (320) amp meter with adequately sized riser (lateral) and reconnect the existing service then run directly from the meter to the other structure.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Part time-- you cannot get a 200 amp supply out to the other structure if you are feeding the house also. Why not install a 400 amp double lug meter base and feed one panel for the house and the second 200 amp panel for the detached structure.

You can pull a 200 amp feeder but that will not give you 200 amps.

320 or 400 amp meter socket will cost less than 200 amp with aux gutters splicing meterials and labor to put it all together, and will look better when finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.