2020 NEC Code Cycle CMP Reorganization

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
I thought it might be of interest to update everyone on a reorganization of a couple of Code Making Panels for the next NEC cycle.

The NFPA Standards Council has approved a reorganization of CMP 2, 4, 6, 7, 10 and 19.

CMP 2 will reassign Article 215-Feeders to CMP 10

CMP 4 will reassign Article 225 and 230 to CMP 10

CMP 6 and 7 will be combined and the resulting panel would become CMP 6. It's assignment would be Articles 310, 320, 322, 324, 326, 328, 330, 332, 334, 336, 338, 340, 382, 394, 396, 398, 399, 400, 402, Chapter 9, Tables 5 through 9 and Annex B.

CMP 10 would consist of the following Articles 215, 225, 230, and 240. Articles 215 and 225 both deal with feeders.

CMP 19 would change designation to CMP 7

As a member of CMP 10 I have been asked to reapply as Principal for CMP 10 representing the International Association of Electrical Inspectors.

This realignment of Code Making Panels 2,4, and 10 was done to lessen the burden on CMP 2 and CMP 4 and even out the work load. CMP 4 particularly has been busy with Article 690 and 705.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the info Chris. How does this work out for you, better, worse, or no change?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This realignment of Code Making Panels 2,4, and 10 was done to lessen the burden on CMP 2 and CMP 4 and even out the work load. CMP 4 particularly has been busy with Article 690 and 705.

Chris
Another reason to realign is to "fire" certain panel members without actually saying so.

raider1

Staff member
Thanks for the info Chris. How does this work out for you, better, worse, or no change?

With the addition of Articles 215,225 and 230 it will increase the workload of Panel 10 quite a bit.

Being moved to a Principal instead of an Alternate on the panel will mean that I am the voting member for IAEI on Panel 10.

For the 2nd Draft meetings for the 2017 NEC I was a Voting Alternate due to the Principal not being able to attend the meeting due to an illness.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Another reason to realign is to "fire" certain panel members without actually saying so.

True,

But I knew that this re-alignment was coming because the workload for CMP 10 was very light during the 2017 code hearings and CMP 4 could not cover all the changes in the allotted time and had to work extra hours to cover. CMP 10 historically had Article 230 and 225 within its scope.

Chris

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Whew.......yeah none of the changes being pushed down by TC and NFPA affect the two panels I serve on but the change to Panel 6 and 7 did for our company. One of the people who work for me was on CMP 6 I believe and with the shuffle he will still be on the combined panel but it took a lot of shuffling by the various associations we are on to get it sorted out.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Can folks boil down what all this means? :huh:
Sure....what part are you concerned about. Just some shuffling of panels and reorganization. Combining of a few panels that seems to end their development meetings sooner than others due to lower PI and/or PC loads.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Sure....what part are you concerned about. Just some shuffling of panels and reorganization. Combining of a few panels that seems to end their development meetings sooner than others due to lower PI and/or PC loads.

But why are they doing all this? What problem are they trying to solve?

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Some panels needed 3 days and some only half a day. So when they looked at the loads it made better sense to combine a few and to move some articles from one panel to another.....in an attempt to make the meetings smoother.

Comments based on the 2017 National Electrical Code.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Some panels needed 3 days and some only half a day. So when they looked at the loads it made better sense to combine a few and to move some articles from one panel to another.....in an attempt to make the meetings smoother.

I'll take your word then. :)

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
But actually one of my employees was on one of those panels and that is what they told him. He reapplied and is now on the combined panel representing the Aluminum Association.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
But actually one of my employees was on one of those panels and that is what they told him. He reapplied and is now on the combined panel representing the Aluminum Association.

Is your particular panel making any changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.