208 Volt 400 Watt MH Wall Pack/Replacement LED Bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainscott

I have a 208 nominal, (actual applied voltage 216 Volt) wall pack fixture with 400 watt metal halide bulbs.

Can I bypass Ballast/transformer-Capacitor and install a replacement 120volt/277volt rated LED Bulb? I know that the 208 falls in the 120v/277v rating of the bulb, but I am concerned with the 208v being phase to phase, since the 277v uses phase to neutral. Will that work with the LED driver?

d0nut

Just install an actual LED wall pack. It will perform much better than an LED replacement lamp in an HID luminaire. You can find a pretty inexpensive light and it will come with a warranty.

kwired

Electron manager
You're thinking of the three or four wings that fold down.
These look like a cob light that unwrap.
Haven't seen those that I am aware of. Still most wall packs have little extra room around the lamp, though when you get into 400 watt size the lamp shell is pretty large compared to it's contents so there may be room

ppsh

Occupation
Electrician
I have seen nothing but failure with the LED replacement bulbs in wallpacks that were 175w+ originally. They basically serve as an oven for the bulb to cook itself to death.

All the lighting retrofit companies were using them everywhere when they first came out, now I'm only seeing them use them in high bays and post lights.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen nothing but failure with the LED replacement bulbs in wallpacks that were 175w+ originally. They basically serve as an oven for the bulb to cook itself to death.

All the lighting retrofit companies were using them everywhere when they first came out, now I'm only seeing them use them in high bays and post lights.
I always wondered how well they handled heat in something so tightly enclosed, not surprised.

A wall pack that is originally designed as a LED luminaire often uses the enclosure as a heat sink for the LED's. Can't get this with a replacement lamp in a HID designed luminaire. High bays are open enough they can work if the replacement lamp is designed to dissipate heat properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.