22 CI plastic box on a 2x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Hass

Is there anything wrong with using the larger plastic box on a 2x4? The box almost takes up the entire 2x4 width.

Thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
No but on interior walls that will be 'rocked both sides, it's putting your wires within an inch of getting literally screwed.

I think that is the sheetrockers' problem, not yours. You get to back charge if they don't know how to aim for the center of the stud.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think that is the sheetrockers' problem, not yours. You get to back charge if they don't know how to aim for the center of the stud.
How many times have you been successful doing that ? The brain surgeon Roto-Zip Rebels often cut my wires to ribbons and I have to make the repairs. I've had one job where they missed cutting openings on an entire wall. I had to find the outlets with a tone generator and amplifier and then make the cuts. Usually the GC just wants to get the job done and doesn't want to hear about back charges. If you back charge the GC for petty amounts of money you won't get the next job. Just my opinion.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
How many times have you been successful doing that ? The brain surgeon Roto-Zip Rebels often cut my wires to ribbons and I have to make the repairs. I've had one job where they missed cutting openings on an entire wall. I had to find the outlets with a tone generator and amplifier and then make the cuts. Usually the GC just wants to get the job done and doesn't want to hear about back charges. If you back charge the GC for petty amounts of money you won't get the next job. Just my opinion.

It has happened to me once that they rotoziped the wires. Then again I will not change the size of the box based on sheetrockrrs ability.
If I don't backcharge on that job, i will make it up (double) on the next one.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It has happened to me once that they rotoziped the wires. Then again I will not change the size of the box based on sheetrockrrs ability.
If I don't backcharge on that job, i will make it up (double) on the next one.

I've found commercial installs with Boxes,Plaster rings and stranded wire, the wire usually migrates towards the front of the box regardless.

Do you all that do a lot of that use any type of protector to keep the rotozip from getting into them or just cross your fingers ?

JAP>

JFletcher

I've found commercial installs with Boxes,Plaster rings and stranded wire, the wire usually migrates towards the front of the box regardless.

Do you all that do a lot of that use any type of protector to keep the rotozip from getting into them or just cross your fingers ?

JAP>

Back when I did communications wiring, I'd duct tape the cables to the back of the box. Yes, this takes extra time, but nothing compared to splicing cables.

itsunclebill

Occupation
99% Retired Electrical Contractor
I've had siding guys drive nails through an interior load center box. I've also had cabinet guys manage to penetrate a cable that rests centered in a 2X6 wall that was never supposed to get cabinets. How much of what do you propose we need to do to protect a code compliant job from other trades?

1964element

On rope houses I use 1900 boxes I dislike plastic boxes.
I use 5/8 rings on 1/2 gyp board comes out perfectly flat on the drywall.
Switch boxes are deep boxes for dimmer heat sinks.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Is there anything wrong with using the larger plastic box on a 2x4? The box almost takes up the entire 2x4 width.

The heart of your question will get you to unpacking the language in 300.4(D). There's a lot of good stuff there.

Fletcher has cautioned about screws into the back of the box. . . I once had an inspector demand that I nail plate the back of single gang NM nail on boxes that were within 1-1/4" of the stud face! That got me so wound up that I had to build a physical model and kick the NEC words around here on the Forum. You can read one thread by clicking here.

BoxEntry2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.