220.14 (D) Luminaires question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

The energy code reference was to enter the complete luminaire anticipated and the effects of other codes, True it does not regulate NEC. Point being, there are many ways to skin this cat but per code "An outlet supplying luminaires(s) shall be calculated based on the maximun volt-ampere rating of the equipment and lamps for which the luminaire(s) is rated." I would believe maximun volt-ampere is max wattage.

Luminaire. A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply. It may also include parts to protect the light source or the ballast or to distribute the light. A lampholder itself is not a luminaire. I would submit the luminaire is all listed parts that complete the installation. The question of specific trims is usually answered at final, so, the initial calculation could be interpreted as rough in when no trims are installed without additional documentation..IE ; energy code

Once again, there is a option for reasoning with a sensible means due to information received.

mwm1752

On another note, The ashrea 90.1 2007 energy code does address voltage drop which would address conductor sizing on services,feeders & branch circuits. I also no of non that address specific load calcs as refered to in 220.14.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The energy code reference was to enter the complete luminaire anticipated and the effects of other codes, True it does not regulate NEC. Point being, there are many ways to skin this cat but per code "An outlet supplying luminaires(s) shall be calculated based on the maximun volt-ampere rating of the equipment and lamps for which the luminaire(s) is rated." I would believe maximun volt-ampere is max wattage.

Luminaire. A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply. It may also include parts to protect the light source or the ballast or to distribute the light. A lampholder itself is not a luminaire. I would submit the luminaire is all listed parts that complete the installation. The question of specific trims is usually answered at final, so, the initial calculation could be interpreted as rough in when no trims are installed without additional documentation..IE ; energy code

Once again, there is a option for reasoning with a sensible means due to information received.

Summarize please. Are you taking the position that I have to use 150 watts (the maximum wattage with any trim) or I can use 60 watts if my fixture assembly includes the smaller trim as specified in the construction documents?

mwm1752

As code compliant IMO --- I would allow the calculation per max wattage of luminaire per construction documents & verify at final. Commercial remodels will more than likely need permts & any change in lighting/luminaire design would require energy code audits. I would also interprete the branch circuit as continuous. The load I might personally set for the circuit would include the knowledge of recess max wattage along with a safety factor I feel comfortable with but that is not code enforeable..

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
For this project I will obviously defer to my AHJ without argument. His position is I must use the 175 watts and subject the circuit to continuous load rules. Works for me. I just made sure he knew what building I was working on so if anyone else tries to low ball me they will get burned.

Cavie

For this project I will obviously defer to my AHJ without argument. His position is I must use the 175 watts and subject the circuit to continuous load rules. Works for me. I just made sure he knew what building I was working on so if anyone else tries to low ball me they will get burned.
That's smart thinking. Be sure to explain it to the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.