220 volt 40 amp wall oven line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lang

I just called a current customer of mine and gave them a price for wiring a 40 Amp wall oven. The panel is in the garage which is about 25' long and sheetrocked. The basement has a drop ceiling and its another 30' to 35' from the garage wall to the oven which is on the first floor. I'm also running a 12/3 for a fridge and leaving one spare. I'm installing 2 runs of Emt in the garage to get over to the basement.

They tell me another EC can do the job for $300. Am I off my rocker or is this guy working for $50?

mcclary's electrical

He's gonna do it in 12/2 w/ no spare and 8/2 no EMT, 2 breakers at 10 a piece, surface mounted box behind stove, and try to be done in 2 hrs. 150materials, 150 pay.

You can't always do stuff the way you want. But yes,,,,,he's working very very cheap

satcom

He's gonna do it in 12/2 w/ no spare and 8/2 no EMT, 2 breakers at 10 a piece, surface mounted box behind stove, and try to be done in 2 hrs. 150materials, 150 pay.

You can't always do stuff the way you want. But yes,,,,,he's working very very cheap
If the garage is rocked he will either have to fish behind the rock or run ENT, no surface on the ceiling in the garage, he is most likely a part time guy with no license no insurance, and will not get a permit to protect the owner, and let us ligit guys pay the taxes, so he can ride free.

Mike Lang

If the garage is rocked he will either have to fish behind the rock or run ENT, no surface on the ceiling in the garage, he is most likely a part time guy with no license no insurance, and will not get a permit to protect the owner, and let us ligit guys pay the taxes, so he can ride free.

I checked there is no way he can snake the wire behind the sheetrock. As far as the other stuff who knows, they claim he's licensed. I was figuring around $700 what do you guys think ? Am i way off?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
He is probably using aluminum and not making any money on the job. Price the materials at your cost- use copper and see what you get. Your price sounds good but I don't know the NJ market.

mcclary's electrical

He is probably using aluminum and not making any money on the job. Price the materials at your cost- use copper and see what you get. Your price sounds good but I don't know the NJ market.

True, and keep in mind that the runs aren't very far, scrap wire laying around in the truck will do. If he's using material left over from another job (already been paid for once) then he can do this cheap. You might have to sharpen your bidding skills. 700 for 2 circuits would be nice,but your not always gonna get that.

Mike Lang

True, and keep in mind that the runs aren't very far, scrap wire laying around in the truck will do. If he's using material left over from another job (already been paid for once) then he can do this cheap. You might have to sharpen your bidding skills. 700 for 2 circuits would be nice,but your not always gonna get that.

Just curious what would you charge for the job I mentioned?

Jerseydaze

Where in the code is this I see it done all the time.

mcclary's electrical

JK,,,but seriously, your price was not really that high,,,,but my point was this is a job someone can do for cheap.

When they need to upgrade to a 400 amp service, they'll have to hire a professional. Many times with something like this,the neighbor ends up getting the job.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They said they would pay me 400 because they knew me.
Tell them you won't do it even for $400 because you know them, and can't do it properly, legally, nor safely at that price.

If they ask how the other guy can, tell them you have no idea, and to please let you know after the job is done.

danickstr

it is highly possible that he is using leftovers from a job where someone else paid for the material. That would take the big wire cost to zero. two ten buck breakers and a ten buck rec.

satcom

Where in the code is this I see it done all the time.

Sure, I see hack work all the time too, what are you looking for in the code?

Try to look at jobs that were inspected, you will discover a new world!

I could hear the inspector now, what do you plan to do with all that cable in the garage?

The $700 to do the job is a deal.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
You could refigure it with 6/2 AL instead of copper and PVC instead of EMT. That gives you a chance to rebid without losing face in any way; simply explain you started bid with materials you prefer using but these others will do an ok job, not quite as finished looking. If you have pieces of 12/3 around, put J boxes in convenient places and not have to buy new wire. Or use 12/2 and leave a pull line if possible for future needs. Be sure customer knows you were planning for future with your 12/3. We're in a market that's dog eat dog and we're not only competing with each other. Every handyman, painter and leaf raker out there is stabbing us in the back; along with BIL's, nephews who use to be a helper, etc.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I just called a current customer of mine and gave them a price for wiring a 40 Amp wall oven. The panel is in the garage which is about 25' long and sheetrocked. The basement has a drop ceiling and its another 30' to 35' from the garage wall to the oven which is on the first floor. I'm also running a 12/3 for a fridge and leaving one spare. I'm installing 2 runs of Emt in the garage to get over to the basement.

They tell me another EC can do the job for $300. Am I off my rocker or is this guy working for $50?

It's obvious that the other guy is working for nothing and you cannot compete with that. Your price was fair. The customer will get what they pay for.

electricmanscott

I'd take that. To me "$700.00 seems way out there.

This is a cake job. I could bang it out in 2 hours easy and I'd run a 240V circuit for the oven.

Last edited:
why bother getting out of bed???

why bother getting out of bed???

I'd take that. To me "$700.00 seems way out there.

This is a cake job. I could bang it out in 2 hours easy and I'd run a 240V circuit for the oven.

Permit fee
Inspection fee
Time to pick up materials
Paperwork
UNCLE SAM'S $$$ 1/3 $$$
Do the actual job
Warranty
Etc.

It may be a cake job, But put some ICING on your cake!!!!----earn a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.