225.33 a

Status
Not open for further replies.

newinspector1

When did code start requireing a main breaker if you had more than six breakers in a panel? I was doing a fire inspection the other day and it had 5 panels in the church and only one had a main breaker. Thanks

jumper

The NEC does not require a panel to have a main breaker, what it is required is that a building's electrical supply be able to be disconnected by six switches or disconnects.

Is there a main disconnect or a set of 6 max somewhere?

Are the MLO panels fed from the panel that has a main breaker?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When did code start requireing a main breaker if you had more than six breakers in a panel? I was doing a fire inspection the other day and it had 5 panels in the church and only one had a main breaker. Thanks

I think the more appropriate question would be when did the code allow six disconnects instead of a main. My guess is the main was the original rule and the 6 disco came after. 480 Sparky(Ken) may know this as he has code books back to the 1800's. Hopefully he will chime in.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If these panels are in the same building, the code has never required them to have a main breaker. Article 225 does not apply within a building.

Status
Not open for further replies.