2250-MW Navajo coal-fired plant shut down, under demolition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Cost of the battery plant to run LA for ONE DAY, $41 billion, or approximately the cost of 40 1GW combined cycle gas-fired generating plants. Just sayin'.
Yeah, but at those prices, you wouldn't size the battery plant to run LA for 1 day. You'd size the battery plant to cover the expected unplanned supply drop during the spin up time of your standby plants, be they combined gas cycle plants or otherwise. Times an appropriate margin of safety.

Cheers, Wayne

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
See earlier discussion about noise. In this case the "noise" is a cyclic process overlaid on the temperature data (I assume, I didn't look at the examples). In the short run that may swamp the signal from rising CO2. But in the long run the cyclic process adds up to zero, while the CO2 forcing does not.

Cheers, Wayne
If that were the case, the graph I showed you of the acceleration of temperature being essentially zero, wouldn't be zero.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I gotta say its refreshing to see people with differing views on a topic have a civil discussion based on facts.

Batteries can. Just sayin'.
Yeah now we gotta factor in new EV's that can be used to back feed a house.
Its a small gain but a gain.

That's exactly what happened at the Zimmer nuclear powerplant near Cincinnati -- they substituted alternative steam generators to convert the plant to a different fuel.
Thats neat, I looked it up:

gadfly56

Occupation
Yeah, but at those prices, you wouldn't size the battery plant to run LA for 1 day. You'd size the battery plant to cover the expected unplanned supply drop during the spin up time of your standby plants, be they combined gas cycle plants or otherwise. Times an appropriate margin of safety.

Cheers, Wayne
OK, pick a number. An hour? That would give you one and two-thirds gas plants. And plan on replacing the batteries every 10 years or so, vs 40-60 years for a fossil-fueled plant. And what were you planning to do at night (I hear that happens once a day) and when the wind doesn't blow? The cost to idle a fossil plant and use it only for standby is enormous, versus using it for baseload. This is the hidden way unreliables drive up power costs, because as publicly regulated monopolies, power producers usually have a fixed rate of return, so if you lower their run time from 8,000 hours per year to 2,000 hours per year, each MW-hr of electricity gets to be almost 3X as expensive or even more. Australia has a very high penetration of unreliables into the grid. The Australian spot market price for electricity has been as high as AUS$14,500/MW-hr. That's right, 14.50 per kilowatt-hour.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Cost of the battery plant to run LA for ONE DAY, $41 billion, or approximately the cost of 40 1GW combined cycle gas-fired generating plants. Just sayin'.

This thread of the conversation stemmed from Paul's comment about output from 'a solar plant' sagging when a rain cloud passes over. (This is not something that happens unpredictability at statewide grid scales, btw.) The fallacy you're engaging in here is called 'moving the goal posts'.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Gadfly what are your thoughts on TAE Technologies plan for powering LA?
I here 'alphabet' has invested heavally in the company and they are using google's AI tech to model experiments?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Cheers, Wayne

Btw what Wayne is talking about here is not hypothetical, it's being done. You can see California ISO's battery charging and discharging here. http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/supply.aspx

At dozens of MW it's still obviously in its infancy but a couple of years ago they didn't wven show it.

gadfly56

Occupation
This thread of the conversation stemmed from Paul's comment about output from 'a solar plant' sagging when a rain cloud passes over. (This is not something that happens unpredictability at statewide grid scales, btw.) The fallacy you're engaging in here is called 'moving the goal posts'.
You ignored my request to establish what the parameters for the battery plant were, so I'm not necessarily the only one moving or ignoring goal posts. My contention is use conventional generation with reasonable reserve and skip the battery angst. And where do you get the idea that cloud coverage is predictable on a statewide grid basis? If you watch a good quality radar image, say with 5 minute or so time steps, it's clear that clouds develop and disappear on a rolling basis, they don't just get generated a couple hundred miles away and sweep across the landscape until they gradually peter out. I think AccuWeather uses a 10 minute time step.

gadfly56

Occupation
Also 40GW is way more than LA consumes.
LA uses about 60 GW-hr per day. Yes, 40GW of power plants would produce way more than LA consumes per day, it's just to illustrate why "investing" in a battery system may not be the most economical method to get what you want.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If that were the case, the graph I showed you of the acceleration of temperature being essentially zero, wouldn't be zero.
I agree it's puzzling why we haven't seen the acceleration yet. On the other hand, it's fortunate we haven't seen much acceleration yet.

Given the longer term temperature graphs, it's to enough to see the temperature rise to confirm AGW. You haven't offered any other plausible explanation for the temperature rise.

Cheers, Wayne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Fusion is at the stage of the incandescent light bulb just before Edison.
It produces net positive energy and its just waiting for the right person to take it to mass market.
Whom ever does will crash electricity markets in the next ten years,
Economists are alredy predicting that.
Every tech billionaire out there is investing in some private venture Fusion project.
I am no expert, but its going to change everything just like the PC and the iphone.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
My contention is use conventional generation with reasonable reserve and skip the battery angst.
My contention is that if you have 100% fossil fuel coverage for your electrical generation needs, and you fully price the emissions of fossil fuels, including CO2, then you save money/pollution (using whatever rate of exchange between the two that is appropriate) by adding renewables, along with whatever supply stability support the renewables may require in the form of batteries or whatever. I don't have the numbers on hand to prove that, it would be very nice to see a detailed balanced analysis. But I have the impression that it's either true today or we've reached break even and the trend line will make fully priced renewables cheaper soon.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
P.S. Physics tells us that for Earth's atmosphere, all other factors held constant, adding CO2 to the atmosphere will raise the surface temperature. That's irrefutable without changing physics.

Of course, not all other factors are held constant. There could be some unknown negative feedback mechanism that will cause other factors to change in response to CO2 so that we don't get a temperature rise. So it's important to check observations and confirm that we are having a temperature rise. Which we are.

Now you could hypothesize that there is an unknown negative feedback mechanism, and the temperature sensitivity to CO2 is really 0, and the recent temperature rise is due to some other unknown phenomenon. I don't know how the subject matter experts have investigated and ruled out that option. As a layman, I'm happy to just rely on Occam's razor, rather than hypothesize all those unknowns.

Cheers, Wayne

paulengr

You ignored my request to establish what the parameters for the battery plant were, so I'm not necessarily the only one moving or ignoring goal posts. My contention is use conventional generation with reasonable reserve and skip the battery angst. And where do you get the idea that cloud coverage is predictable on a statewide grid basis? If you watch a good quality radar image, say with 5 minute or so time steps, it's clear that clouds develop and disappear on a rolling basis, they don't just get generated a couple hundred miles away and sweep across the landscape until they gradually peter out. I think AccuWeather uses a 10 minute time step.

It’s not hypothetical either. North Carolina as the second largest installed base of solar plus the effect of Amazon East (wind farm) has an enormous impact on stability and the largest utility (Duke) is quite public about how much more we can take on.

paulengr

P.S. Physics tells us that for Earth's atmosphere, all other factors held constant, adding CO2 to the atmosphere will raise the surface temperature. That's irrefutable without changing physics.

Of course, not all other factors are held constant. There could be some unknown negative feedback mechanism that will cause other factors to change in response to CO2 so that we don't get a temperature rise. So it's important to check observations and confirm that we are having a temperature rise. Which we are.

Now you could hypothesize that there is an unknown negative feedback mechanism, and the temperature sensitivity to CO2 is really 0, and the recent temperature rise is due to some other unknown phenomenon. I don't know how the subject matter experts have investigated and ruled out that option. As a layman, I'm happy to just rely on Occam's razor, rather than hypothesize all those unknowns.

Cheers, Wayne

Ok so please explain the 800 year gap. Why do temperature rises precede increases in CO2 by 800 years? Your model fails to explain this. Plus it’s simple BS. My model uses solar activity and models the data very tightly without fudge factors including annual variations, no CO2 garbage needed.

gadfly56

Occupation
I agree it's puzzling why we haven't seen the acceleration yet. On the other hand, it's fortunate we haven't seen much acceleration yet.

Given the longer term temperature graphs, it's to enough to see the temperature rise to confirm AGW. You haven't offered any other plausible explanation for the temperature rise.

Cheers, Wayne
1. Correlation is not causation. You said this yourself, I believe, or someone did upthread. Fossil fuel use has shown an unrelenting march upward, not just linearly increasing with time, but showing increases year-over-year. There is no acceleration in the temperature rise (you just admitted this), therefore no coupling between CO2 and temperature increase. At best there may be, somewhere, a weak effect which may show up in the data someday. This is not enough to derail the world economy with carbon taxes and carbon capture and sequestration schemes.

2. Argumentum ad igorantiam. Argument from ignorance. "We don't know what else is could be, it must be witches." I don't have to offer any explanation. As you are making the affirmative case, it's your responsibility to provide evidence of the mechanism between temperature increases and CO2 increases that are more than natural variation. Remember the two trends from 1910-1940 and 1975-2000?

When the world had higher CO2 levels at it was at one point hotter than today, and colder than today. That should make anyone pause before making claims that CO2 is "polluting" our air.

globalTempAndCo2_last600MillionYears.png

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
1. Correlation is not causation.
Sure, but when the physics (per observed atmospheric IR absorption spectra) tells you to expect an effect (temperature rise), and you see the effect, that is generally considered confirmation.

There is no acceleration in the temperature rise (you just admitted this)
I haven't, actually, I just agreed your graph didn't show any. I'm not enough of a subject matter expert to know if that's the correct graph, or if we should expect acceleration at a detectable level, or if the expected acceleration is still at a level that is drowned out by the noise. You certainly raise a good question, but that's not nearly enough to reject the physics and the evidence.

If you'd like to continue to try to rebut AGW, please address post 95.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.