25 FT Tap Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
But isn't it fair to say that when you have a meter in there, that it's an entirely different conductor that runs from the load side of the meter to the OCPD?
Yes that's fair to say.
Since you agree that the conductors on the line side and load side of the meter are different conductors, you must admit that it's the load side conductors that terminate/end on an OCPD. The line side conductors terminate/end at the meter.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with it, or that most inspectors will say this or that. I'm simply stating that the code says that the tap conductors must terminate on an OCPD. Which is exactly what it says. So I was really missing how multiple knowledgeable people are saying it might not be a violation.

I have no problem saying that the code is either bad or ambiguous. I'll even volunteer to make the PI if we can agree on what would be a better way to word it.

See my post #46 on splices. I could see someone calling a splice a continuation of the same conductor. But that might be a stretch, so I could also see someone totally objecting to that when taken in the literal sense. Depends on which side of the bed they woke up.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Since you agree that the conductors on the line side and load side of the meter are different conductors, you must admit that it's the load side conductors that terminate/end on an OCPD. The line side conductors terminate/end at the meter.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with it, or that most inspectors will say this or that. I'm simply stating that the code says that the tap conductors must terminate on an OCPD. Which is exactly what it says. So I was really missing how multiple knowledgeable people are saying it might not be a violation.

I have no problem saying that the code is either bad or ambiguous. I'll even volunteer to make the PI if we can agree on what would be a better way to word it.

See my post #46 on splices. I could see someone calling a splice a continuation of the same conductor. But that might be a stretch, so I could also see someone totally objecting to that when taken in the literal sense. Depends on which side of the bed they woke up.

Let me clarify my assumption of the line and load conductors being different conductors in a meter base or not.

I assume a mechanical meter turns the wheel by means of an induced current.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are using a meter that is using those conductors to power something inside the meter itself, then, I'd consider the meter itself as powering a load, and, I'd agree that makes a difference in the conductor.

JAP>

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Let me clarify my assumption of the line and load conductors being different conductors in a meter base or not.

I assume a mechanical meter turns the wheel by means of an induced current.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are using a meter that is using those conductors to power something inside the meter itself, then, I'd consider the meter itself as powering a load, and, I'd agree that makes a difference in the conductor.

JAP>
Wouldn't all smart meters and any modern ones with a digital display then fall into this category of powering an internal load?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Wouldn't all smart meters and any modern ones with a digital display then fall into this category of powering an internal load?

I would say in the case of a meter with an internal load the power company would be tapping a tap, but, generally the power company is not under the NEC rules to my knowledge, and, we are not responsible for overcurrent protection of the power company's meter.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.