3 12-3 supplying kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

Please people the first person that tells me that they are runing an extra homerun for the dispoal only i say that they are a newbie to residential. You will not be able to compete if your thinking is so obtuse.,

I am using MC in a high rise condo. Small kitchen so no risk of sub zero. I'm using 4 square metal boxes with half inch mudrings, so box fill is inconsequential. You know, if I opened a box and saw a black wire and a red wire coming in, I would look for two separate breakers (or a two pole breaker)

danickstr

probably in a commercial zone.

Funny how we used to pull one neutral for half a dozen UC's and it rarely caused problems. Better safe than sorry I guess, but this almost makes me consider pulling flex for residential to strategic locations throughout the house.

celtic

Dennis Alwon said:
He's searching for it-- don't tell him that changed that rule years ago.

He could be from Chicago ????

I wish you were required to put your State into the forum....just like your user name.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
celtic said:
I wish you were required to put your State into the forum....just like your user name.

Just put a members zip code (from their profile) in HERE

Domelectric, read 334.10 and 334.12.

Roger

celtic

roger said:
Just put a members zip code (from their profile) in HERE

Roger

That only helps if they enter the zippy ~ check Dom's ...your elite mod version of the forum may show it...my general population version does not.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OOOPs, I guess zip codes aren't shown.

For what it's worth, I think members locations should be public knowledge, it does have a bearing on replies.

Roger

celtic

roger said:
For what it's worth, I think members locations should be public knowledge, it does have a bearing on replies.

Roger

For that reason alone...not even as specific as zippy...even State would suffice much of the time....but I'm not about about to ask to have the wheel re-invented.

celtic

Dennis Alwon said:
If he were from chicago wouldn't the entire building have to be done in pipe?

I don't know?

Based on what other's from Chicago have said, I guess "YES".

ryan_618

hardworkingstiff said:
Does the handle tie trip the non-overloaded breaker? I thought it didn't, and it was there to turn of all circuits of a MWBC when servicing.

Correct, an identified handle tie across two or three phases will allow one breaker to trip while keeping the others energized. A multipole breaker, on the other hand, will trip all circuits.

If I were an electrician, I would be buying a lot of handle ties, and would avoid multipole breakers like the plague.

Well, I have searched and I cannot conclude that NM cable cannot be used in residential buildings over three stories. Hmmm. I have been practicing this for years. I will ask the local AHJ and find out what he thinks. By the way, I am in Florida and will try to put that in my profile. Thanks for the heads up.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Domelectric, you will have to go back to the 99 NEC to find where NM was not allowed above 3 floors, it was in 336.5(a)(1), this was removed in the 2002 NEC and the NM article was moved to 334.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.