3-way question

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLDLAVA

i have an old house i'm working on that has a pair of switch banks using only 2-wire for all the 3-ways. i think they call them "California 3-ways or lazy susan 3-ways. anyone have a diagram they can post for me on how this is accomplished?:-?

480sparky

Here's how it works:

Calif3wayanim.gif

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
There's another variation of that setup that, as the OP states, only uses 2-conductor NM for the whole hookup.

It looks like this:

TwoWireTravellingBus3Way.jpg

There one thing i hate when i did few service upgrading if you are not carefull about the lighting circuits something like what the photo show if you dealing with upstair and downstair circuit if you ever seperated it you have to watch out with the hot leg on " Californina 3 way " if you get each circuit on seprated leg or phase you will end up getting 240 [ 208 votls some case if have 208 v network] and blow the light bulb.

It did happend to me twice so far so just watch out on that oddball connection.

Merci, Marc

480sparky

al hildenbrand said:
There's another variation of that setup that, as the OP states, only uses 2-conductor NM for the whole hookup.

It looks like this:

TwoWireTravellingBus3Way.jpg

Al, I took your drawing and animated it:

2-wire3-way.gif

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Note that the circuit which Al presented is _legal_ if confusing, whereas the 'Carter System' is not legal.

The Carter system switches the neutral, and may connect an ungrounded conductor to the screw shell of the lamp.

I belive that the 'Carter system' would be legal to switch (but not disconnect) a line-line load.

The circuit that Al presents only switches the ungrounded conductor.

-Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's also very possible that the 3-ways were wired conventionally, merely using 2-conductor cable. Usually, one 2-wire cable is used for the travelers. In a separate cable, hot is at one switch, the load at the other, and the white is sometimes not used.

It's not hard to determine how it was originally wired. Disconnect at least 2 wires at each switch (noting connections) (or test with switch in both positions) and test for a single hot at only one switch, and whether it's on a common terminal.

P.S. We really do need a technical forum. People still read this one as "lighting."

Last edited:

gndrod

480sparky said:
Al, I took your drawing and animated it:

2-wire3-way.gif

AL & 480sparky,

From the looks of the physical conductor runs, maybe Bob won't need to mess with the co-workers, I think you have succeeded in messing with my brain. If the wiring is paired to the lamp, and the switched cable is paired, I believe, a loop return violation to [300.3(B)] is considered in its own right. Regardless of the switch position, the switch connections are not cancelled pairing, thus becoming an isolated non-cancelling ungrounded conductor pair cable between the switches. Maybe I am not seeing the physical pairing arrangement....? Any help straightening me out is appreciated. rbj

Last edited:

480sparky

gndrod said:
AL & 480sparky,

From the looks of the physical conductor runs, maybe Bob won't need to mess with the co-workers, I think you have succeeded in messing with my brain. If the wiring is paired to the lamp, and the switched cable is paired, I believe, a loop return violation to [300.3(B)] is considered in its own right. Regardless of the switch position, the switch connections are not cancelled pairing, thus becoming an isolated non-cancelling ungrounded conductor pair cable between the switches. Maybe I am not seeing the physical pairing arrangement....? Any help straightening me out is appreciated. rbj

300.3(B) only states that both conductors must be in the same raceway or cable. And they are. It doesn't state that the neutral present (OK, technically the grounded conductor) must be used to carry the amperage...

But, good point nonetheless!

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
gndrod said:
I think you have succeeded in messing with my brain.
:smile: Nice to know that I'm having an effect.
gndrod said:
If the wiring is paired to the lamp, and the switched cable is paired, I believe, a loop return violation to [300.3(B)] is considered in its own right.
Upon reading the words in the Opening Post, I assumed that the wiring method is most likely nonmetallic. That invokes 300.3(B)(3). This allows the unbalancing of the currents, and the physical separating of current carrying conductors into different NM cables.

This is not a pretty picture when one examines the EMF, but it is Code compliant.

gndrod

300.20(b)

300.20(b)

al hildenbrand said:
:smile: Nice to know that I'm having an effect. Upon reading the words in the Opening Post, I assumed that the wiring method is most likely nonmetallic. That invokes 300.3(B)(3). This allows the unbalancing of the currents, and the physical separating of current carrying conductors into different NM cables.

This is not a pretty picture when one examines the EMF, but it is Code compliant.
Hi Al,

Yes it does, and it also invokes 300.20(B) that might not. Seems circuits going through metallic boxes need "holes drilled"(due to induction) and all is just conjecture to the original OP intention. I guess we are full circle on this discussion that was somewhere back 3 years ago with Karl Riley.

I agree that 300.3(B)(3) is a dumbing down of clean wiring principles in real world installation systems, unfortunately 300.20 only addresses inductive and not EMF interferences that are common and irritating. I had to mention wiring loops for most electricians don't give much thought on this and should at least have some idea about inherent "violations".(my quotes) I'll get off my soap box now. rbj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.