3 Year NEC Cycle Too Often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

We have been living with this 3 year cycle for some time. Is it too frequent?

I hear a structural code is going to a 5 year cycle so ease the expense, confusion, etc.

Thoughts?? Comments??

RC

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Heck with all the changes every three years we probably could go every year just to keep it up to date.:)

Unfortunately many of the changes are unneccessary or simply in a manufacturers interest.

Roger

480sparky

Many changes are due to new products and new technology. Try to find AFCIs in your 1987 NEC, or THHN in your 1959.:roll:

growler

In my opinion we could still be useing the 1999 code book without any danger to the public. Example: there are areas where they are still useing the 1999 and are not having any problems.

I think a 10 year cycle would be best and this would give more states the chance to get on board with the changes. I think more states would adopt at the same time if this was so and we would all be working on the same code cycle.

Manufacturers provide instructions on the use of any new products and this is already covered in the code.

I would vote for a 5 year cycle over a 3 year cycle if that's the best they can come up with.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There's no requirement that local jurisdictions adopt the latest NEC. I think the local's should put a little more thought into it before just adopting the latest version with the assumption that its better.

Steve

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unfortunately many of the changes are unneccessary or simply in a manufacturers interest.

Roger

Yeah but if they make changes every 5 or 7 years it will put Mike Holt and the forum out of business. What will we complain about???:)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yeah but if they make changes every 5 or 7 years it will put Mike Holt and the forum out of business. What will we complain about???:)

Oh no it wouldn't, we would find something to go on about. ;)

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There's no requirement that local jurisdictions adopt the latest NEC. I think the local's should put a little more thought into it before just adopting the latest version with the assumption that its better.

Steve

Depends on where you are. Here the state adopts the code(s) and each jurisdiction is then requied to adopt it withing 6 months of that date.

ivsenroute

In most cases, I think that every 3 years is too often. In other cases due to technology, I think it is not often enough.

Windmills for example. What took so long? 2011 finally something

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not always, such as the tamper resistant receptacles which was lobbied for by the CPSC and had data to back it up.

That's the reason I said "many of the changes" in lieu of "all of the changes"

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Depends on where you are. Here the state adopts the code(s) and each jurisdiction is then requied to adopt it withing 6 months of that date.

The State still doesn't have to adopt the latest code.

Heck, here in Illinois we still have one State Agency going by the 1993 codes. That's the other end of the specturm. I think they are just too cheap to buy new code books.

Can you imagine what its like trying to have to try and find the 1993 versions of NFPA codes every time a violation is cited?

Steve

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The State still doesn't have to adopt the latest code.

Heck, here in Illinois we still have one State Agency going by the 1993 codes. That's the other end of the specturm. I think they are just too cheap to buy new code books.

Can you imagine what its like trying to have to try and find the 1993 versions of NFPA codes every time a violation is cited?

Steve

That's true, but the word jurisdictions was used and that's what I was correcting.

I can understand not wanting to buy book every three years, our budget for code books is over $5000.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

Steve

Is a local jurisdiction better equipped to decide all code changes than all the people listed in the front of your code book (CMP's)? Highly doubt it! I also think it is ridiculous that some locals are still on the '99 and '02 cycles and the '11 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.