380 and 440 volt capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Single phase motors need a start capacitor to get the phase shift necessary to start the motor. A 3 phase motor does not need it because the phases are already 120 degrees apart.

I know, but I'm seeing HVAC caps rated less than the line voltage.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Ok, there's a ton of info out there about it. You have one cap, it's the "start" and "run" cap. The PSC is a dual coil with common.

The caps on a PSC motor typically will run higher V across the cap than line voltage. Yikes, so look out.

Here's my PSC HVAC 240v/60Hz/1ph condenser running:
8.8A through Start coil (which means in/out of the cap @60Hz)
325v(rms) across the cap
19.2A Line

For a 480v(nom,rms) PSC you need a cap that will be rated nom/rms higher than that by about 135-150%. But it all depends of motor design.

see https://news.ewmfg.com/blog/comparing-shaded-pole-psc-and-ec-motors

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Because it's still in series with motor windings, so is not subject to the full supply voltage.
Unless, of course, the winding and the capacitor come close to a resonant condition, in which case the voltage across both winding and capacitor can be a large multiple of the line voltage. Fortunately this does not happen when the correct capacitance is used.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
The descriptions there say "need cap" and on the left there's a small pic of "this item". The cap they link to seems wrong to me.

Go look at other sites that sell PSC motors, all of the 208-230v 1ph 60Hz PSC's show a 370v or better cap. The PSC will likely see 240v line, and the 370v(nom) cap is more than 1.55x higher than line.

Unless, of course, the winding and the capacitor come close to a resonant condition, in which case the voltage across both winding and capacitor can be a large multiple of the line voltage. Fortunately this does not happen when the correct capacitance is used.
It's never ideal, and the cap will always see higher than line. The MFD + inductor will dictate how the voltage builds.

We can dump this into Spice to see what it looks like.

A 480v 1ph PSC will likely have a 750v(nom) or better cap. And if it's a big HP motor the cap is gonna be beefy to handle the run amps.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Electrolytic ???
Back to back series electrolytics in the same package are commonly referred to as AC electrolytics. I would expect life to be lower than similar construction electrolytics used in a DC biased situation.

Or maybe I have it wrong?
There is a special type of electrolytic capacitors for AC use, which is designed to withstand reverse polarisation. This type is called the non-polarized or NP type.

Read more http://www.capacitorguide.com/electrolytic-capacitor/
it looks like you can either make an NP electrolytic by putting two discrete polarized electrolytics in one package (with or without a bleeder network to equalize voltages) or you can construct a three layer rather than two layer electrode wrapping to provide two electrolytic junctions in series throughout the spiral. (wrap would be anode material-cathode material-anode material, for example.)

Last edited:

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Back to back series electrolytics in the same package are commonly referred to as AC electrolytics. I would expect life to be lower than similar construction electrolytics used in a DC biased situation.
Oh well............another experience..........

Status
Not open for further replies.