380v European Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Wow, you know your italian espresso machines! :)

The owner emailed me this morning and said the manufacturer took the machine back and is going to provide a 220v machine. However, because our voltage is 208, im going to have to boost the voltage to 220 and then request a wiring diagram to see if its 3 phase or single. I wonder if the 220v is the actual nominal voltage or if its kind of a general voltage kind of like when people say "Oh, thats a 220v dryer". I've tried to find European/Italian transformer diagrams on google but havent had any luck. Im not sure if 220 is a phase - phase voltage or phase - ground voltage. The wiring diagram will clear this up once its received.

W = V2/R
If you only supply 208V to heaters designed for 220V, the heat output will be lower. As an example a 1000W 220V heater element, if given 208V, would only put out 893W. That means it will take longer to heat the water. In the fast paced life of a coffee shop, that translates to less revenue.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Earlier I suggested that a 240V-480V delta-delta transformer might work. Are they readily available? If fed with 208V, the output would normally be 416V; would they typically have taps that could be used to reduce the output voltage to 400V or 380V?

Cheers, Wayne

Still need a noddle. 240 delta 277/480Y. They exist :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.