3PH disconnect with 1PH load centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What am I looking at? Where did the blue phase go? What is that microchip thing?

That is a meter bank. The little round black things are CT's which digitally read the load for each apartment. The blue phase is present on the meter bank feeder but since the loads are all 1Ø only black and red are used for each apartment feeder. As Bob stated earlier the 1Ø loads are distributed evenly by being connected A-B, C-A, and B-C.

iwire

Staff member
That is a meter bank.

Still a panelboard to the NEC :cool:

The little round black things are CT's which digitally read the load for each apartment. The blue phase is present on the meter bank feeder but since the loads are all 1Ø only black and red are used for each apartment feeder. As Bob stated earlier the 1Ø loads are distributed evenly by being connected A-B, C-A, and B-C.

Never seen that set up.

Is it utility metering or is it landlord metering?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Can yall help clarify this for me? We have never installed single phase on a 3 phase and we dont' understand how it will work. How do you attach the single phase meter stacks to the main so that its all balanced?
Since all or most of the loads will be single phase to neutral, it won't ever be balanced except by coincidence.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
That is a meter bank. The little round black things are CT's which digitally read the load for each apartment. The blue phase is present on the meter bank feeder but since the loads are all 1Ø only black and red are used for each apartment feeder. As Bob stated earlier the 1Ø loads are distributed evenly by being connected A-B, C-A, and B-C.
There was a newly constructed apt building here in Austin a few years ago that was wired that way, but unfortunately there was a mixup in communication with the POCO and they installed a 240V high leg transformer instead of a 208/120V tranny. Oops.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Ok, I will bite. Is that even legal? :blink:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Why wouldn't it be? I have seen 1P3W panels on A and C on a high leg service; what's the diff?

My understanding is that in some places laws govern the practice of buying power from the POCO and then selling it to tenants. In the least the equipment must be of a select accuracy.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Since all or most of the loads will be single phase to neutral, it won't ever be balanced except by coincidence.

And the neutral will be a current carrying conductor. It looks like that makes 6.

JFletcher

Upon further perusal, what are the 3 apparent white jumpers between neutral bars? Also, on the bottom right of the same, there appears to be a small bare aluminum wire; what is that?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Still a panelboard to the NEC :cool:

Never seen that set up.

Is it utility metering or is it landlord metering?

I agree, we use the term meter bank because it does contain metering equipment but by definition it still is a panelboard. I believe that it's sub-metering not the utility. The POCO has their own CT's and meters on the service.

I posted the photo to depict what is common in apartment buildings, 3Ø risers and panelboards with 2 pole CB's feeding all 1Ø apartment loads. Just for the record I personally did not land the conductors in this panel. It was done by a co-worker in a style that he called "rib caging". :cool:

Yes he did an excellent job.:thumbsup:

iwire

Staff member
I posted the photo to depict what is common in apartment buildings, 3Ø risers and panelboards with 2 pole CB's feeding all 1Ø apartment loads.

Not common here, sub metering of new dwelling units not allowed.

We would have something like this in the basement or on each floor with three phase in and single phase out.

meter-stack-miramon.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

We would have something like this in the basement or on each floor with three phase in and single phase out.

meter-stack-miramon.jpg

That was the traditional way we did multi-tenant meters back in the day big banks of meters either in the basement or in a bank every three floors, but with the new technology we can get 40 apartments with sub-metering in one panelboard.

kwired

Electron manager

meter-stack-miramon.jpg
Sub metering for the purpose of selling power is likely what is not allowed. If there still is a utility company meter ahead of the submetering, then the owner (where applicable) can't sell power to each tenant but can still monitor what they use for his own purposes. If utilities are included in the rent/lease and utilities increase over time then one can adjust the rent/lease fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.