40 amps from NEMA 5-20r

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Reduce the magnetic field how? Or, two ask it another way,,, in what way is the magnetic field increased? You would have balanced current hot to neutral on circuit A1 and balanced current hot to neutral on circuit A2, there is no net current.
Here's a dual recept yoke (logical hot-neutral), on left is each recept fed from same pole, on right is each recept fed from opposite poles.

X and dot are typical arrow representation of current directions, X is in, the dot is out. Obviously they flip at 60Hz, etc.

The config on right has a more symmetrical mag field cancellation pattern then the one on the left.

It also applies if two duals are mounted in same box side-by-side, with each dual being fed from opposite poles.

Attachments

• mag-phase.png
    mag-phase.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Here's a dual recept yoke (logical hot-neutral), on left is each recept fed from same pole, on right is each recept fed from opposite poles.

X and dot are typical arrow representation of current directions, X is in, the dot is out. Obviously they flip at 60Hz, etc.

The config on right has a more symmetrical mag field cancellation pattern then the one on the left.

It also applies if two duals are mounted in same box side-by-side, with each dual being fed from opposite poles.
So are you saying if I put two recpts in a two gang box, fed from two separate circuits on the same phase I will have a lower magnetic field if I turn one of the recpts upside down?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
So are you saying if I put two recpts in a two gang box, fed from two separate circuits on the same phase I will have a lower magnetic field if I turn one of the recpts upside down?
Essentially yes. Does not eliminate it though.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The magnetic field is generated from the current flowing in the conductors and the cancelling effect comes from keeping the opposing conductors close to each other. To the degree that the hot and neutral conductors are separated by the distance between the terminals on the recpt you would be loosing some of that cancellation but that tiny level of energy is going to dissipate by the time you are a fraction of an inch away from the box the device is contained in.

Status
Not open for further replies.