400 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Oh quit the contrary as I was hoping you had something on this as I'm here to learn also, while I have never heard of any such requirement or listing, panels, meter cabinets, and many other type cabinets and box's have been buried in walls for years and was a very normal install for block walls as well as adobe or gunite, even brick, or stucco, and just as was said above because many home owners do not like the look of equipment on the outside of a few million dollar houses so the more it is hidden the happier they are.

That is why I posted the code to the contrary.

And if they can afford a few million dollars for the house why not the pocket change (to them anyway) it takes to make a mechanical room to hide these things in?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Can you site a code or UL requirement that doesn't allow R-3 enclosures to be sub mounted? ever see a Florida or California service, they are totally in the outside wall with only the cover exposed?

If the manufacturer has a product that is intended for surface mounting, can you still recess it? I believe that most meter sockets are made to be surface mounted, Haven't seen many that have the mounting tabs like the flush or semi flush panels do.

hurk27

If the manufacturer has a product that is intended for surface mounting, can you still recess it? I believe that most meter sockets are made to be surface mounted, Haven't seen many that have the mounting tabs like the flush or semi flush panels do.

Well in chasing the code for a few years and UL this question has been asked before, and I have yet to see a meter or panel only listed for surface mount only, some even provide a different cover for flush mount if the panel is going to be totally flush instead of semi-flush, almost all panels have mounting holes on both the back and sides, meter bases in most cases were never design to go into the wall between the studs but I have never seen a restriction saying they can not be semi-flush. I have looked at a few manufactures and I have yet to find this restriction, and as code goes even 312.3 allows it if you meet the requirements.

Is there a problem with this type of install? sure as was mentioned the "What Ifs" but "What Ifs" is not enforceable.

As I said in post #36 where is it listed it can't be done other wise law will say it can, as law is permissive.

hurk27

Nothing in the UL listing I can find that prohibits semi-surface mounting of a meter socket?

METER SOCKETS (PJYZ)
GENERAL
This category covers meter sockets, which are complete enclosures accommodating
plug-in-type watt-hour and similar meters. They provide terminating
means for conductors of wiring systems recognized by ANSI/NFPA
70, ??National Electrical Code.??
The tightening torque required for terminal screws is specified by a marking.
Terminal wire connectors may be omitted and, if omitted a marking specifies
which connectors are intended to be used. Instructions for the field
installation of connectors are provided with the connectors.
Meter sockets are suitable for supply wiring to enter the enclosure from
either the top or the bottom, unless the meter socket is marked ??Overhead
Feed Only?? or ??Underground Feed Only,?? or the equivalent. The marking
??Top Feed?? is considered equivalent to ??Overhead Feed,?? and ??Bottom
Feed?? is considered equivalent to ??Underground Feed.??
The ratings of these meter sockets are limited to 600 V ac maximum and
to 400 A maximum through any one meter.
Meter sockets rated over 30 A are marked with their short-circuit current
rating in rms symmetrical amps. For short-circuit current ratings exceeding
10 kA, the marking includes the type and rating of overcurrent protection to
be used with the meter socket.
Meter sockets are marked with a continuous amp rating and may in addition
have a maximum use (intermittent) amp rating of not more than 125%
of the continuous amp rating

iwire

Staff member
Nothing in the UL listing I can find that prohibits semi-surface mounting of a meter socket?

Listing or labeling

It is a surface mount unit.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the AHJ should fail it for 110.3(B) just that in my opinon they can and would be within their authority.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is something I got from another site

Special Considerations
1. DuPont™ Tyvek? StuccoWrap™ and DuPont™ Tyvek? DrainWrap™ shall be installed with drainage grooves vertical, going
up and down.
2. To help optimize the installed R-Value benefits of DuPont™ Tyvek? ThermaWrap™ it should be installed with shiny,
metallic side facing towards a clear ? inch minimum airspace. Without an airspace, DuPont™ Tyvek? ThermaWrap™ will
still act as a water-resistive barrier.
3. DuPont requires that DuPont™ Tyvek? HomeWrap?, DuPont™ Tyvek? StuccoWrap?, DuPont™ Tyvek? DrainWrap™ and
DuPont™ Tyvek? ThermaWrap™ be covered within 4 months (120 days) of its installation. DuPont™ Tyvek?
CommercialWrap? must be covered within 9 months (270 days) of its installation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have heard there is time limitation of how long that is to be exposed to sunlight before. Sometimes you see it in places exposed for 2 years or even more.
The issue though is that I don't think exposed is a problem if it is not exposed to sunlight. The info doesn't say that but I am guess that is what it is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.