404.8 (b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What is the intention of 404.8 (b)? Does this literally mean I can't have two switches from different circuits in the same box?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
What is the intention of 404.8 (b)? Does this literally mean I can't have two switches from different circuits in the same box?
No. It means voltage between the two circuits can't exceed 300V.

Two switches on 120V circuits of different phases would not exceed 300V between them.

Two switches on 277V circuits of different phases would exceed 300V between them.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No. It means voltage between the two circuits can't exceed 300V.

Two switches on 120V circuits of different phases would not exceed 300V between them.

Two switches on 277V circuits of different phases would exceed 300V between them.

So I literally can not have a large gang box with a 277/480 MWBC and lights on differing phases? Are you serious? :oops:

Also, why wouldn't it apply to 120 volts? 120+277= 397v

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As David stated it would depend on the phasing in the box to end up with more than 300 volts when supplying devices from two different systems.
ecmweb_3445_lasttry.png

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
As David stated it would depend on the phasing in the box to end up with more than 300 volts when supplying devices from two different systems.
ecmweb_3445_lasttry.png

How is he getting 381 volts vs 397? just curious on how the math works.

But being honest, I can't see a reason for this rule.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I'm guessing that some engineer worked out the numbers. As for the usefulness of this rule that's open to debate.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The phases are separated by 30deg from the 277V side to the 120V side ( standard phase shift.)

So for a 277V A phase circuit to a 120V A phase circuit the voltage difference is 183V. No barrier would be required

From 277V A phase to 120V B phase the voltage difference is 385V.

From 277V A phase to 120V C phase the voltage difference is 301V.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The phases are separated by 30deg from the 277V side to the 120V side ( standard phase shift.)

So for a 277V A phase circuit to a 120V A phase circuit the voltage difference is 183V. No barrier would be required

From 277V A phase to 120V B phase the voltage difference is 385V.

From 277V A phase to 120V C phase the voltage difference is 301V.

Neat :)

Terminator5047

Occupation
Electrician

So someone that’s not you doesn’t send 480 to a light or series of lights when replacing switches creating a series of mini fire starting bombs?

So I literally can not have a large gang box with a 277/480 MWBC and lights on differing phases? Are you serious? :oops:

likely just an academic point, but the restriction is for "adjacent devices" not "all devices in a box". Not sure if there is some combination where, say for three devices, you would have less than 300V between A and B, and also B and C, but more than 300V between A and C. :unsure:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Any idea what year?
I knew you would make me look! The oldest code book I have is 1975 and it is there as Article 380.8. There was no indication it was new in that edition. Maybe some else with older books can look to see how much further it goes back.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I knew you would make me look! The oldest code book I have is 1975 and it is there as Article 380.8. There was no indication it was new in that edition. Maybe some else with older books can look to see how much further it goes back.

An older rule makes it less likely to be relevant today IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.