440v motor on 480v supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That’s why I said they should immediately buy the replacement motor now, so that it can be swapped out quickly when this one bites it..
Doesn't that depend of how quickly it can be done and what the cost of his downtime is?
May cost less to avoid that situation in the first place.

retirede

Doesn't that depend of how quickly it can be done and what the cost of his downtime is?

Yes. I would SCHEDULE replacement once the properly rated motor is on site at a convenient time (weekend or other plant shutdown) rather than wait for failure.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Yes. I would SCHEDULE replacement once the properly rated motor is on site at a convenient time (weekend or other plant shutdown) rather than wait for failure.
Yes. Good logical approach if I may say so. But what we don't know (or maybe I just missed it) is whether the 440V has already been installed and in operation.

If it hasn't, then I would go for the correct motor in the first place. It isn't as if we are talking about a very large, expensive machine.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes. Good logical approach if I may say so. But what we don't know (or maybe I just missed it) is whether the 440V has already been installed and in operation.

If it hasn't, then I would go for the correct motor in the first place. It isn't as if we are talking about a very large, expensive machine.

OP said:
I've got a client with an industrial sized sifter with a 3 phase 440v volt motor,
He also had a picture of the nameplate. I took that to mean the sifter has arrived with the motor installed and he is being tasked with hooking it up.

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
FWIW, looks like a 284T frame motor is very close in dimensions. If the Euro C stand for close coupled C face then they do offer a 284TC.

Take a look at a WEG 02518ST3QIE284TC-W22. It might be just what you need.

retirede

My thinking is that I would not delay commissioning of the machine waiting for the correct motor.

Besoeker3

Occupation
In response to the last two posts, we don't know the current status.

kwired

Electron manager

Cost of downtime should be a factor. Remember that cost may involve time for replacement to arrive and/or time to fabricate so some other replacement can be fitted.

If it is a critical machine in a process that runs daily that down time cost may be much more than if it is a machine that only gets occasional use.

Availability of standby/alternate machine or other methods of getting the job done can factor into the cost also.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I agree with the worm. I'd run the motor and see what happens next. The worst thing that could happen is the motor burns up and it causes the plant shut down two weeks before Christmas, everyone gets laid off, the local economy craters and nobody gets presents which causes emotional scaring in one of the children who becomes a serial killer as an adult, but by then no one will remember the motor had anything to do with it.

:lol::lol:

Though you are not far away from the truth, thats how things often happen in real life. Something small sets of a larger chain of events.

Besoeker3

Occupation
He also had a picture of the nameplate. I took that to mean the sifter has arrived with the motor installed and he is being tasked with hooking it up.

Thank you for that, sir. Sometimes I miss things. So yes, it would infer that the machine with the motor is on site but not yet in operation. If that is the case Riterede may have the best approach. But order the right motor right away. That is, if you can get one that is easily mechanically interchangeable.

It sounds like this is a piece of plant that was bought second hand and the person responsible for making the purchase did not properly check the voltage compatibility for the new location.

Status
Not open for further replies.