480 volt 3 phase 60HP @48amps Portable power washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Installing a power washer. Service is 120/208y

Need to install a transformer to boost to 480amp 3ph @48amp. We were talking about a 50kVA. But this is 10 weeks out.
So we are going with a 75kva and just running 1/0 with no neutral from Service to Trans. Then # 6 thhn to power washer outside 130 feet away.
I intend to fuse the line side 120/208v @ 150amp and load 480 @ 60amp.
Was just think. Does a motor starter need to be use with overload? Never seen such a large portable. Wundering if I forgot the motor protection if required. Not sure if something is on unit. Cord comes with tinned ends. Intend to use a 60 amp 600volt 3ph cord end. 4wire without neutral.. I dont see a 3 wire cord end. I dont require a neutral.

retirede

You said “motor starter.” By definition, a starter includes overload protection, otherwise you have a contactor or a switch.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No it isnt These motors Like 480 but can be possible Didnt want to go against label On unit Didnt look at motor label had 100 ft of hose on it

Todd0x1

Intend to use a 60 amp 600volt 3ph cord end. 4wire without neutral.. I dont see a 3 wire cord end. I dont require a neutral.

On portable cord, the EGC is counted so a 4 wire 3ph plug/connector gets you three hots and a ground. Why a 600v cord end as opposed to a 480v one? I would use a 60 amp 3P 4W 480v (red) pin and sleeve for this. Isn't there some code section about connectors for motors over a certain size requiring a HP rating? On pin and sleeve connectors some have HP rating, some do not.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On portable cord, the EGC is counted so a 4 wire 3ph plug/connector gets you three hots and a ground. Why a 600v cord end as opposed to a 480v one? I would use a 60 amp 3P 4W 480v (red) pin and sleeve for this. Isn't there some code section about connectors for motors over a certain size requiring a HP rating? On pin and sleeve connectors some have HP rating, some do not.
Yes i forgot that 3 phase plus G is 4 wire. Dont know what I was thinking.
Thank You

topgone

60 hp is around 72A (high-speed) or 77A (900 rpm)! Please check your numbers. If it is a true 60 hp motor, choose a 75 kVA transformer.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
60 hp is around 72A (high-speed) or 77A (900 rpm)! Please check your numbers. If it is a true 60 hp motor, choose a 75 kVA transformer.
I had a 50 kva in mind but its 10 weeks lead time Only stock 45 and 75 I will use 75 kva And not fully load it and fuse 208 side 150amp and 480 side 60 amp # 6 thhn
But 480 side is 150 feet away so i may go with #4 thhn Thinking of 70 amp breaker 480 side with the 4's

Status
Not open for further replies.