50A GFCI Breaker for garage

Occupation
Residential Service Electrician
Currently this homeowner has a 200A panel in their basement with a 50A breaker supplying power to a Subpanel in the garage. Whoever ran wire to garage in the past did not provide an equipment ground. They only provided an SER cable with 2 insulated hots and a bare uninsulated neutral. Several questions, if homeowner does not plan on having 240V loads in garage would it be okay to simply put 1 insulated conductor as a hot, the second insulated conductor as a neutral, and the uninsulated conductor as an equipment ground, all on a 50A GFCI breaker. Will breaker preform properly with only one pole of breaker and neutral being used. Additionally let’s say homeowner does want a 240v load out in garage. GFCI protection can be used in lieu of an equipment ground but will the uninsulated neutral wire cause issues with leakage and nuisance tripping. Also if no equipment ground is provided to the garage do I need to supply a grounding electrode outside of the garage to protect equipment inside Subpanel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Currently this homeowner has a 200A panel in their basement with a 50A breaker supplying power to a Subpanel in the garage. Whoever ran wire to garage in the past did not provide an equipment ground. They only provided an SER cable with 2 insulated hots and a bare uninsulated neutral. Several questions, if homeowner does not plan on having 240V loads in garage would it be okay to simply put 1 insulated conductor as a hot, the second insulated conductor as a neutral, and the uninsulated conductor as an equipment ground, all on a 50A GFCI breaker. YES Will breaker preform properly with only one pole of breaker and neutral being used. Additionally let’s say homeowner does want a 240v load out in garage. GFCI protection can be used in lieu of an equipment ground but will the uninsulated neutral wire cause issues with leakage and nuisance tripping. , NO, AN EGC is required Also if no equipment ground is provided to the garage do I need to supply a grounding electrode outside of the garage to protect equipment inside Subpanel? Again, an EGC is required. As far as a GEC, Is the garage attached or detached ?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Depending on whether it needs to be inspected, or was inspected at some point in the past, I might just bond the neutral to ground at the garage and drive an electrode. This used to be allowed. See 250.32(B) Exception.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Depending on whether it needs to be inspected, or was inspected at some point in the past, I might just bond the neutral to ground at the garage and drive an electrode. This used to be allowed. See 250.32(B) Exception.
Only in detached structures.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I
believe there can be no GFCI installed at the source (first building feeding garage) and no ground bonding between building and garage among other things to use the exemption for the neutral also as a GEC for previous allowed installations to continue

Occupation
It is a detached garage. I was trying my best to save the homeowner some money because they had already had so much work done by us. Running a new wire does not seem the most cost effective solution for them since they plan on selling the home in the future. Ultimately I’m just concerned because there’s no effective ground fault current path and I’m just trying to provide options. I agree that the best solution would be a 120v panel with only one leg available.

Occupation
Making it 120v only panel and no GFCI would be the only option in my opinion. I'd see if I could sell them on a 80-90 amp subpanel so they have room for welders and car chargers and just redo it.
I believe running any new wire would be out of the way simply because of the damage to build a trench would cost. If I make it a 120v only panel they couldn’t have any 240v loads.

Occupation
Not inspected. And I doubt it was inspected before in the past, this woman lives in a double wide that was lifted up, built a whole bottom floor underneath, built additions on, and finally put this detached garage on the property. This double wide has an old 320A service.

Occupation
I believe I misunderstood the years of people telling me GFCI takes place of no equipment grounds rule for 120v receptacles 406.4(D2). I didn’t realize that didn't apply to feeders. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
If neutral and ground sre bonded together at that subpanel, you have a fault current path. There is no need to rip that feeder out if it was compliant when installed, and I think it was the 2008 code that eliminated this option.

Occupation
If neutral and ground sre bonded together at that subpanel, you have a fault current path. There is no need to rip that feeder out if it was compliant when installed, and I think it was the 2008 code that eliminated this option.
Isn’t that a parallel path though considering the service panel in the house has grounds and neutrals bonded? Also this would cause interference trying to provide any type of GFCI protection.

retirede

Isn’t that a parallel path though considering the service panel in the house has grounds and neutrals bonded? Also this would cause interference trying to provide any type of GFCI protection.

No and no.

There’s only a parallel path if there’s more than one path, such as a metallic water line.

As stated previously, this was a proper installation before 2008.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Isn’t that a parallel path though considering the service panel in the house has grounds and neutrals bonded?
In order to have a parallel path you need another path besides the normal current carrying conductors between the house and the garage. Before 2005 it was allowed by the NEC to bond the neutral at a separate structure as long as there were no other conductive paths between the two buildings.
Also this would cause interference trying to provide any type of GFCI protection.
No.