50A service 208VAC 3P4W and 6AWG SOOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes. 3 poles 4 wires where the 4th wire is earth ground not neutral. 3P + PE
When talking voltage configuration, the equipment grounding conductor (EGC) is NOT in the count. The "W" number is the number of circuit conductors. Though required, the EGC is not a circuit conductor. 208/120V 3Ø 4W is a voltage configuration which includes the neutral, i.e. four circuit conductors.

What you want doesn't even have 120V, so it'd be 208V 3Ø 3W.

That is different from the number of wires designated on a cord, which includes the conductor with green insulation. 6/4 SOOW has four wires and in that count, one has green insulation.

Don't blame me for the disparity. I did not set the conventions. I'm just the messenger.

PS: I should note that when dealing with cable (not cord) with a designated EGC, the EGC is not counted in the cable conductor designation. For example 12/3 MC has a black, a red, a white, and a green wire.

Last edited:

DubDub

When talking voltage configuration, the equipment grounding conductor (EGC) is NOT in the count. The "W" number is the number of circuit conductors. Though required, the EGC is not a circuit conductor. 208/120V 3Ø 4W is a voltage configuration which includes the neutral, i.e. four circuit conductors.

What you want doesn't even have 120V, so it'd be 208V 3Ø 3W.

That is different from the number of wires designated on a cord, which includes the conductor with green insulation. 6/4 SOOW has four wires and in that count, one has green insulation.

Don't blame me for the disparity. I did not set the conventions. I'm just the messenger.

No worries on the conventions, unfortunately it has completely derailed from the original question. I do not use the short hand conventions often enough not to butcher them. I think at this point the facilitation of 3 poles L1/L2/L3 with a ground with no neutral conductor is established. It will not let me go back and edit the original title.

EDIT.
I think you (Smart $ ) answered the underlying question in post #6 according to code. Maybe since the PDU manufacturers do not have a main entry breaker they do not have to worry about the dependency.
Thanks, Wayne

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No worries on the conventions, unfortunately it has completely derailed from the original question. I do not use the short hand conventions often enough not to butcher them. I think at this point the facilitation of 3 poles L1/L2/L3 with a ground with no neutral conductor is established. It will not let me go back and edit the original title.
K

Status
Not open for further replies.