600V cord capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
incidentally, it is pretty common for people using Camlok style plugs to use conductor ampacities that far exceed what the NEC would allow. It is not clear to me that this is especially unsafe given how prevalent it is.

E-1016 camloks using 4/0 90deg cable are rated for 400A (compliant with 400.5(A)(2)). If you use the 17-series you can go to a 690A rating with 500MCM(!!). What usually gets people is the other termination ratings.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
E-1016 camloks using 4/0 90deg cable are rated for 400A (compliant with 400.5(A)(2)). If you use the 17-series you can go to a 690A rating with 500MCM(!!). What usually gets people is the other termination ratings.

I think the stud style receptacle is rated for a 250MCM in the E1016.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone use that big of a cable on them though. Usually about 2/0. The wires must get pretty warm if run at 400 A.

It is really hard to get the big wires in the plugs though, even though the instructions say it works.

kwired

Electron manager
What does a 400 amp cord connector even look like? Is it a 4 man operation to plug in?

I connected a 200 amp pin/sleeve type connector once at a hospital for mobile CT and MRI scanners that show up and are in a semi trailer. Smaller hospitals now all have their own CT, but few have MRI and depend on these mobile services. I only had a 150 amp circuit run to it, but when the mobile unit showed up, that was one hell of a cord to drag over to the receptacle. (I had to be there first time just in case phasing was wrong).

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I agree that it's far far more likely that the marking on his cable is because of the CONNECTOR rating, not the cable rating. We don't really know however, and the OP's question was if a DEVICE (the cable/connector, bathtub whatever) that is STATED to be rated for 400A can be used at 500A, just because it is going to be used at a lower voltage. With nothing more than that little bit of information given, the ONLY viable answer is a simple NO. We don't KNOW what the cable was actually rated for, but it currently HAS a 400A connector on it, so the ONLY safe assumption is that 400A is the limit, and the voltage at which that 400A is delivered is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.