8-2 w/G wire (how many amps?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
infinity said:
If you look at 250.122 you'll see that a 20 amp OCPD requires the same size EGC as current carrying conductors. Therefore the ratio required ratio is 1 to 1.

So by that you could not use a 8/2 w#10EGC romex for a 20 amp circuit due to the undersized EGC in the cable?

iwire

Staff member
1793 said:
So by that you could not use a 8/2 w#10EGC romex for a 20 amp circuit due to the undersized EGC in the cable?

That is correct.

This can be an issue if you choose to run UF cable for long underground 15, 20 or 30 amp circuits.

In my area 250.122(B) is enforced by most inspectors.

Occupation
Inspector
iwire said:
That is correct.

This can be an issue if you choose to run UF cable for long underground 15, 20 or 30 amp circuits.

In my area 250.122(B) is enforced by most inspectors.

Man, I love this place !!!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
1000 feet?

How much does the cable weigh? or cost for that matter.

You could probably pay an electrician to run it in smaller gauge with a step up and step down xfmer for less.

Corky22

First of all I apologize for asking the question on this forum, I had no idea that I had to be a licensed electrician to participate here, I was directed here by someone that is in the electrical supplies business. Yes I am a woman but I do have an mechanical engineering degree and make a good living at what I do!
Would an auto transformer 20A 0-140 volt work in this situation or would it be more efficient to step down from 240?
If you guys don't want answer me, please direct me to someplace where they will.
Thank You,
Mary

Minuteman

I am a woman but I do have an mechanical engineering degree and make a good living at what I do!

Corky, your profile says that you are a handyman. We do not give DIY advice to those outside of the industry.

However, PE's, ME's, EE's, Instructors, Inspectors, Distributors and others related to the industry can ask questions regarding there job, but not their home projects.

It would help me to know more about the campsite that you are referring to.

iwire

Staff member
Mary the Forum rules that where displayed to you upon registration lay out who this site is for.

They are the rules that the owner has set up, it is not the choice of members.

If you really need 20 amps @ 120 volts 1,000 feet from the source with acceptable voltage drop it will get expensive fast.

With the cost of conductors today it may very well make sense to hire an electrician to safely install a step up transformer at the source and a step down transformer at the load.

Is this for occasional use?

If it is you will be able to buy and run a 2400+ watt generator for a long time compared to the cost of a permanent installation.

haskindm

Is the 20-amps the actual connected load, or the capacity of the receptacle? The voltage drop will be determined by the actual load. As others have said, with a 1000' run voltage drop will be a big consideration.

mario

get a generator ...

get a generator ...

I agree with Iwire ... a low cost generator would be cheaper ... m

Status
Not open for further replies.