A/C disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOL_5150

I have a situation where I need to change the A/C disconnect to a subpanel, so I can run a few circuits off of the feed. Does the NEC specify that the A/C disconnect need to be fused, or can it be a breaker? Basically, I want to take the fused disconnect out, wire up a 6 space panel and have the A/C directly connected to a breaker in the panel. The feed to the disconnect is a 60a breaker off of the main panel. I believe the condenser unit is 30a.

~Matt

peter d

TOOL_5150 said:
Does the NEC specify that the A/C disconnect need to be fused, or can it be a breaker?

The unit itself will specify this information. I just did an A/C hook up job last Friday, and all the units stated a fuse or HACR breaker requirement on them.

mdshunk

You'd have to look on the a/c's dataplate. Some say maximum fuse or breaker size, and others just say maximum fuse size. If it just says maximum fuse size, then you're stuck with using fuses in some manner. That doesn't mean you can't set your sub anyhow and feed out to a fused disco for the a/c.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
TOOL_5150 said:
Does the NEC specify that the A/C disconnect need to be fused, or can it be a breaker?
Look at the name plate on the unit. It will probably say:

MOCP fuse or hacr.

Then a hacr breaker will do the job.

TOOL_5150

Thanks Peter, and Marc!

Now, to see if the nameplate will "work with me" I dont really want to have a bunch of boxes on the side of the house unless absolutly necessary.

~Matt

quogueelectric

brantmacga said:
You have a 4-wire cable feeding an A/C disconnect?
When I need a receptacle for service and there is none available I like to run 12-2-2 for the service receptacle also it is a nice job one cable one stop shopping.

TOOL_5150

brantmacga said:
You have a 4-wire cable feeding an A/C disconnect?

I do, the 3rd wire is taped off and pushed to the back of the disconnect. They even used square D QO panels in the house too! I am sure the EC that did this tract wasnt cheap! :grin:

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.