a/c units in electrical room and Ded. space (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrickleCharge

Just seeing what everyone thinks about this installation of the a/c unit in the electrical room. I have a large project with about 7 electrical rooms....i noticed yesterday that they were installing these units in each. The XMFR is about 7" off the wall. I know that the condensate will be pumped and going up along with any other piping. Now the question that i have is that per section 110.26 (F) states that the dedicated space is the width and depth of the equipment. The XMFR being 7" off the wall does not interfere with the condensate line, however the complete unit itself is about 10"-12" in depth so this would encroach into that space just barely. What does everyone think? (see attached pics)

ac above xfmr1.jpg ac above xmfr2.jpg

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Now the question that i have is that per section 110.26 (F) states that the dedicated space is the width and depth of the equipment.

110.26(F) says that Switchboards, panelboards, distribution boards and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated equipment space. Nothing about transformers.

iwire

Staff member
I would be more concerned with the cables entering the transformer up high.

Most, not all, transformers of that size prohibit entering conductors above the terminals.

There is also a KO seal missing.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I would be more concerned with the cables entering the transformer up high.

Most, not all, transformers of that size prohibit entering conductors above the terminals.

There is also a KO seal missing.

That cought my eye as well. It will bake the conductors over time for sure.

templdl

Knowing that energized electrical equipment does generate heat it is not all that unusual for an A/c unit to be installed in an electrical room where sufficient ventilation can not be provided. I had to provide the heating watts of the electrical gear that I would be providing for a project to the design engineer such that they would be able to provide for adequate cooling means.

TrickleCharge

in regards to where the conductors enter the top--Im used to seeing the sticker that indicates not to install conductors above a certain point. However, in this XMFR the only thing I saw was a sticker that said "route conductors away from windings" The lower portion is very tight and would be almost impossible to maneuver the conductors underneath, unless these were fed underground. I did ask the EC to provide me with the manufacturer's installation instructions or cutsheets (siemens) so I will see what is says. What do you guys think?

renosteinke

I forget ... what's the top limit of the working space? 6-1/2 ft? 7-ft?

In any event, the drywall seams seem to indicate that the fan / evaporator unit is more than 8-ft. up. I think it's out of the working space.

Status
Not open for further replies.