Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Do youn have a link to the ROP?

>>>

http://www.incendies-origine-electri...posal_nec.html

Of particular interest pertinent to the OP may be the many rop's Dr Joe Engel fowraded during the 2013 annual revision cycle

I'd encourage anyone to ask why the chief nema afci task force member, a man with a doctorate in electricity , would be so publicly adamant .

~RJ~

Link out, sorry :(

BTW, when we talk about a coil, are we talking about GFP or low magnetic trip breakers?

Last edited:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
WOW. I'm an inspector and a contractor, which probably gives me one more card in my wallet than you have. I'm also a past president of the Southern California Chapter of the International Assoc. of Electrical Inspectors and a founding board member of the California Electrical Inspectors. I think I'm interested.

Good , i'm an IAEI green mountain chapter member and people like you are who we are interested in an exchange with

I would like your take on the following>>>(one of many i could post btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLmC5quELrE

2-76 Log #687 NEC-P02 Final Action: Reject
(210.12)
supplying outlets…shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,
combination-type, installed to provide parallel arc fault protection of the branch
circuit.
210.12(B): Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications – Dwelling Units. (1)
A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit.
Substantiation: A CD shall be provided to each Code-panel Principal Voting
Member showing actual real-world testing of combination-type AFCIs. This
testing clearly demonstrates and proves that these devices do not trip when
sensing a real-world series arc-fault, as they are advertised. Regardless of the
type of series arc fault (loose connection, broken wire, damaged cord, junction
box splice failure), combination-type AFCI devices do not trip and provide
protection even though they claim to provide such. Please view the Powerpoint
presentation on the CD and click on the imbedded video for testing results. It is
completely inappropriate for the National Electrical Code to specify and
require equipment that does not work properly. It is sincerely hoped that the
Panel will correct this issue.
Note: Supporting material is available for review at NFPA Headquarters.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: Replication of the experiments shown in the video shows
that there is minimal actual arcing occurring. When arcing does occur, causing
the sparking seen in the video, its duration is very short and the energy is three
orders of magnitude below what is required to ignite the NM cable or
surrounding materials.

The waveform looks the same as when a wall switch is switched on and off.
If the AFCI responded to this waveform it would increase the incidence of
unwanted tripping while not contributing significantly to mitigating fire hazards.
Number Eligible to Vote: 11
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 10 Abstain: 1
Explanation of Abstention:
ORLOWSKI, S.: See my Explanation of Vote on Proposal 2-92.

What this insinuates is, CMP-2 knows ALL ABOUT arc signatures relative to their incendiary limits....

~RJ~

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Good , i'm an IAEI green mountain chapter member and people like you are who we are interested in an exchange with

What this insinuates is, CMP-2 knows ALL ABOUT arc signatures relative to their incendiary limits....

~RJ~
Well remember that each panel is made up of 1/3 contractors, 1/3 engineers, and 1/3 manufactures. I would think that if it was really such a deal that the first third would have voted for the change. The CMP members are no longer listed in the code book so I don't have any idea what their affiliation or experience is.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

~RJ~

So wait, they actually admit the arcing is not a problem and a regular AFCI won't be able to catch it? :eek:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Well remember that each panel is made up of 1/3 contractors, 1/3 engineers, and 1/3 manufactures. I would think that if it was really such a deal that the first third would have voted for the change. The CMP members are no longer listed in the code book so I don't have any idea what their affiliation or experience is.

I have old nec's back to 1/2 century ago Cowboy.

As i've stated , noted are perennial ,if not concurrent seats with multiple entities throughout the years

The influence of collusion should be relevant to even the most reclusive , especially in their responses

But i digress....If one really wants to know how our trade operates, please read the OP's publication

This will not be published anywhere in America but on the 'net

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
They apparently have published substantiations w/o supporting literature or logic Mr MBrooke

~RJ~

I'd say so. Yet manufactures seem to worry about series arcing a great deal in regard to what is shown in the mentioned video... No one seems to be one the same page, let alone be in consecutive agreement.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
True Mr MBrooke

One might say it's our trades 'global warming'

The real nitty gritty boils down to the ave spark (guilty as charged) being somewhat complacent of electrical theory

For example, why would i, for instance, be high 5's for 690.11, yet totally opposed to 210.12?

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
True Mr MBrooke

One might say it's our trades 'global warming'

The real nitty gritty boils down to the ave spark (guilty as charged) being somewhat complacent of electrical theory

For example, why would i, for instance, be high 5's for 690.11, yet totally opposed to 210.12?

~RJ~

The average spark, and Id even say CMP member, is not schooled on theory as they should be and that is no accident...

Status
Not open for further replies.