Above ground pool grid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

(C) Pool Water. An intentional bond of a minimum conductive surface area of 5806 mm2 (9 in.2) shall be installed in contact with the pool water. This bond shall be permitted to consist of parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(B).

You could

or you could change a plastic fitting to brass and make it one of the parts required to be bonded that happens to be in contact with the pool water. Why is it that you should have to go through all that to bond the water?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would not do that just use this UL listed and Labeled product http://www.poolcenter.com/p/above-ground-pool-water-bonding-kit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are correct- some inspectors may want something listed but I don't think it is necessary. There are many listed products out there and some are as simple as a short piece of pipe with a lug on it.... I don't see why David's approach is not compliant.

If a light is installed underwater then that would bond the water and it is not listed for bonding the water so....

bluecollar84

If that pool light is atleast 9sq inches of metal conductor than I can see that being ok . But just making your own parts to bond the water that are not designed to do is not ok with me. Remember first few pages in code book clearly say we need to use UL listed and Labeled parts

david

If that pool light is atleast 9sq inches of metal conductor than I can see that being ok . But just making your own parts to bond the water that are not designed to do is not ok with me. Remember first few pages in code book clearly say we need to use UL listed and Labeled parts

is a metal hand rail listed or labeled for pool water bonding, or is it a item under the section needed to be bonded.

any metal 9 in sq. in contact with pool water is all the code requires. it specifically says so

edit: actually the code says any isolated metal greater than four in. So a brass fitting with at least 3 x 3 surface contact should be sufficient

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

A pipe clamp is listed as well as a copper pipe-- we use copper pipes as a grounding electrode conductor all the time

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
(C) Pool Water. An intentional bond of a minimum conductive surface area of 5806 mm2 (9 in.2) shall be installed in contact with the pool water. This bond shall be permitted to consist of parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(B).

You could

or you could change a plastic fitting to brass and make it one of the parts required to be bonded that happens to be in contact with the pool water. Why is it that you should have to go through all that to bond the water?

Is that plastic fitting actually 9 in2?? Must be for 1-1/2" pipe or so...

GerryB

we just change on of the plastic fittings either at the bottom of the skimmer or connection to the pump to brass and bond that with a water pipe clamp
The pool I did today had no water bond. I called Namco and they sell it, sounds like what you do. It's a bronze fitting, you change the plastic below the skimmer, has a lug on it. It said 19.95. You would think it would be included when they do the pool but I guess they are too cheap. The manager said they don't get involved with any electrical code issues when I asked why they don't include it.

Status
Not open for further replies.