AC TONS TO CURRENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

You may rather say you are in the second half of your life meant for new goals to have and achieve,e.g making at least England to adopt SI units in air conditioning field, apart from your goal of long walk with your dog.:D
I'm not English but I suppose you know that. I didn't make England adopt SI, nor the rest of the world. But it is a system that is logical and hangs together without all the conversion factors that Imperial measures require. I don't need to know that an acre is 4840 square yards.

And walking the dog..........that's not a goal, it's a necessity.......
But he is a really a very good boy. He leaps and gallops in metres, runs in kilometres, weighs about 35kg, and is as strong as a two tonne ox...........
Enjoy your non SI day...........:D

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm not English but I suppose you know that. I didn't make England adopt SI, nor the rest of the world. But it is a system that is logical and hangs together without all the conversion factors that Imperial measures require. I don't need to know that an acre is 4840 square yards.

But he is a really a very good boy. He leaps and gallops in metres, runs in kilometres, weighs about 35kg, and is as strong as a two tonne ox...........
I shall.
And I leave you with the question of what the SI and metric units for intelligence are. :angel:

mivey

IHe leaps and gallops in metres, runs in kilometres, weighs about 35kg, and is as strong as a two tonne ox...........
But he thinks in non-SI. His leaps, steps, navigations, etc. are calculated on his body dimensions. He may actually have developed his own unit system!! If you could just teach him to speak you could find out!

Besoeker

But he thinks in non-SI. His leaps, steps, navigations, etc. are calculated on his body dimensions. He may actually have developed his own unit system!! If you could just teach him to speak you could find out!
You are, of course, correct. It was my failed attempt at levity. But, however he works it out, he can still jump over my 1.5m front garden wall........:p

mivey

Well, he is quite a big fellow. Over a metre tall at the shoulders. But we are wandering off topic.
He didn't look that big in the picture. I guess I had more border collie size in mind 'cause that what he looks like.

Besoeker

He didn't look that big in the picture. I guess I had more border collie size in mind 'cause that what he looks like.
He is a big fellow and a klutz at times.
But about the size of the collies we had in Scotland for herding the sheep
Sure, he is a big, muscular beast.
And I'm glad he is with me in the dark evenings when we stroll.

Sahib

But you have not told us your second half of your life goals with reference to this thread, if any.:D

Besoeker

But you have not told us your second half of your life goals with reference to this thread, if any.:D

The goal is peace, tranquillity, good food, a dog that walks me for miles.........what more?
But we are off topic.

Besoeker

Shoot, that happened way back after #23. It happens.:D

OP had got his answer by then.
I'm sure you are right. Just passed 08:00 And I am just back in after strolling for an hour or so. With a very well behaved boy.
And we still don't have a conversion factor.
No problem.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
You mean, on very hot days, a 1 ton air conditioner works as a 1/2 ton air conditioner or even though 2 ton air conditioner works as a 2 ton air conditioner ie extracting the same amount of heat from conditioned space, design inside temperature is not maintained due to outside temperature deviation beyond design limit?

Best answer is to familiarize yourself with vapor cycle compression and reduction in capacity with higher temperature differences is to do internet search on 'Mollier diagram' and read up on vapor cycle comporessin technology

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
WOW, LOL. Thanks for all the feedback. I think the next time I need to ask a simple question about a realistic but not exact load, I will instead just ask about the physics of sending an unknown value of mass to mars.

This way I will expect to not understand any of it.

I will expect to get no explanation of the answer I was given, if given one at all.

And I will understand that the conversation may drift into the thermal dynamics of heating on the bottom of a tennis shoe strapped to a walker on some random road somewhere and how the tread of the hypothetical shoes grip is affected on 70056 different surfaces, BTW NONE of which are on Mars. LOL:D

The one guy here that seems to really understand AC and who kindly gave me some links seems to strongly disagrees with the information I thought I understood the links to say and that I should have used greatly increased numbers. The calculator that some pointed to gave high numbers that did not match or even come close to any data from any system I looked up specs on. I still do not know if I made a reading / interpretation mistake as no comment has been made either way. My only guess is that I am only considering the compressor and not the air handlers motor load but that should not be 10Amps.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
WOW, LOL. Thanks for all the feedback. I think the next time I need to ask a simple question about a realistic but not exact load, I will instead just ask about the physics of sending an unknown value of mass to mars.

This way I will expect to not understand any of it.

I will expect to get no explanation of the answer I was given, if given one at all.

And I will understand that the conversation may drift into the thermal dynamics of heating on the bottom of a tennis shoe strapped to a walker on some random road somewhere and how the tread of the hypothetical shoes grip is affected on 70056 different surfaces, BTW NONE of which are on Mars. LOL:D

The one guy here that seems to really understand AC and who kindly gave me some links seems to strongly disagrees with the information I thought I understood the links to say and that I should have used greatly increased numbers. I still do not know if he or I made the mistake as no comment has been made either way. My only question is that I am only considering the compressor and not the air handlers load but that should not be 10Amps.
Efficiency rating of the unit is a definite factor, but I think someone has already mentioned 1 kVA per ton is a reasonable quick calc value. But if you have several units you very well may find you come up with higher capacity then you need on service/feeders then if you had actual nameplate data available which can make huge difference in say a 30+ tenant unit building vs how far it throws you off on a facility that only has a couple AC units.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
Efficiency rating of the unit is a definite factor, but I think someone has already mentioned 1 kVA per ton is a reasonable quick calc value. But if you have several units you very well may find you come up with higher capacity then you need on service/feeders then if you had actual nameplate data available which can make huge difference in say a 30+ tenant unit building vs how far it throws you off on a facility that only has a couple AC units.

Thanks kwired!
The 1K per ton is not even close to what some others or the calculator link were saying (they were at 30A up to 60A). That was my confusion and I was trying to understand how it could be so different. Ultimately, I used 4.4KVA and that seemed close to the spec sheets I read online.

Status
Not open for further replies.