Additional Ground Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing some switchboards outside including a chiller, and an ATS. I think it would be benefitial to install a ground rod at each piece of equipment to directly connect each piece of equipment to ground.
Would that be adventagous or a waste?

Do they have to be tied together - they are about 30ft away from each other?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's anyone's guess if an auxiliary ground in the form of a ground rod at each piece of equipment will actually do anything. It certainly wouldn't hurt to install one. Auxiliary electrodes are covered in 250.54 and are not a substitute for grounding.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Beneficial, how?

Individual structures require a GES according to 250.32.

It is beneficial because it is required by code. Other than that benefit, I see no real reason to do it at all.

Given that an EGC is required to be run out to each of them, and the EGC will be connected together somewhere, they will be connected together.

One time I was on a job site where they had run some RGG underground out to some kind of pump skid. They had a small transformer there for lighting and a couple of service outlets. A GEC was run from the panel board on the xfmr to the RGC and continued to a ground rod. Does anyone believe that the ground rod served any purpose whatsoever?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is beneficial because it is required by code. Other than that benefit, I see no real reason to do it at all.

Given that an EGC is required to be run out to each of them, and the EGC will be connected together somewhere, they will be connected together.

One time I was on a job site where they had run some RGG underground out to some kind of pump skid. They had a small transformer there for lighting and a couple of service outlets. A GEC was run from the panel board on the xfmr to the RGC and continued to a ground rod. Does anyone believe that the ground rod served any purpose whatsoever?

Are you saying that a ground rod is required? I was under the impression that the equipment has only a single circuit run to it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are you saying that a ground rod is required? I was under the impression that the equipment has only a single circuit run to it.

I am installing some switchboards outside including a chiller, and an ATS.

A switchboard implies more than one circuit to me.

An ATS, has multiple feeders. Off the top of my head I would say that qualifies as not having a single circuit.

A chiller might well have a single circuit.

jumper

That would be a feeder I think. That would be different.

jumper

A switchboard implies more than one circuit to me.

An ATS, has multiple feeders. Off the top of my head I would say that qualifies as not having a single circuit.

A chiller might well have a single circuit.

OP never said the outside switchboards and ATS were on a different building.

I thought the chiller was a single circuit to a pad/structure.

If that is the case, these are all extra/auxilliary rods like Rob said.

That was the basis of my beneficial question.

Status
Not open for further replies.