Advise Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok I guess this could be a life changing decision. I work for an IBEW local #3 shop now as an estimator/assistant pm. I applied to another Local IBEW #25 several months ago because I wanted to become an electrician and learn the trade. Well I passed the aptitude test and went to the interview. I told my boss what my intentions were. He thought I was making a bad decision so he talked me out of going the electrician route and said I should go to school at night to learn the trade. Well I just got a call from Local #25 that I was accepted and will start work mid June. I really want to learn the trade and think it will be very beneficial for me in the future.

Ok I have been in the industry for about six years as an assistant pm & estimator working for a total of two shops n that time. I don't think I have a good grasp of the "electrical aspect/install" of things.... I think I am lacking. The major concern for me is that I will be taking a 60% pay cut. I know.....I did think about this before when applying etc. but now it's real...lol. I am 34 with no kids, have a fiancee and own a house and have a descent amount of bills.....I don't want to pass this up because I think I think I will regret this.......VERY CONFUSED. Thanks very much...........

iwire

Staff member
It will never be easier then it is now, as time goes on you will likely have kids and more bills. So if you want to do it I say don't put it off.

ohm

Ok I guess this could be a life changing decision. I work for an IBEW local #3 shop now as an estimator/assistant pm. I applied to another Local IBEW #25 several months ago because I wanted to become an electrician and learn the trade. Well I passed the aptitude test and went to the interview. I told my boss what my intentions were. He thought I was making a bad decision so he talked me out of going the electrician route and said I should go to school at night to learn the trade. Well I just got a call from Local #25 that I was accepted and will start work mid June. I really want to learn the trade and think it will be very beneficial for me in the future.

Ok I have been in the industry for about six years as an assistant pm & estimator working for a total of two shops n that time. I don't think I have a good grasp of the "electrical aspect/install" of things.... I think I am lacking. The major concern for me is that I will be taking a 60% pay cut. I know.....I did think about this before when applying etc. but now it's real...lol. I am 34 with no kids, have a fiancee and own a house and have a descent amount of bills.....I don't want to pass this up because I think I think I will regret this.......VERY CONFUSED. Thanks very much...........

Horsegoer, I believe most electricians would try to become what you are.

But, if you can afford the temporary pay cut go for it!

Life's too short to be doing you're not happy with. And I suspect after awhile you will become very valuable and offered a promotion to something you won't be happy with either.

Good Luck!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's the work outlook on LI? In NYC there's a 7 month wait for a job if you get laid off. Even guys who work steadily have to take off 10 weeks a year as a furlough. Working 52 weeks a year as an estimator might not be such a bad idea.

celtic

I'm confused.

You hold a card for 3, but applied to 25?
Why not just stick with 3?

Be aware...if you decide to goto 25 - you may not be holding a 3 card anymore.
You cannot hold a card for more than 1 local.
I understand 3 runs by there own set of rules [JIB, a ton of classifications from "A" to at least "M"] - but what about 25?

What's so wrong about being strictly supervision?

nakulak

If you are good at what you do, maybe you can talk to your boss and see if you could arrange to work in the field 1 month out of every 4 or something like that to get your hours in while going to night school, so that you can eventually not only get the experience and become qualified, but also get your masters. Its worth a shot anyway, before jumping out with both feet into the unknown.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Infinity...work is ok. I don't think they are excersing a furlough.

If you think that local 25 can provide with with jobs for the next 25-30 years then go for it. If that period of time is punctuated with long stretches of unemployment staying where you are and moving up the ladder on the office end might not be so bad either. It's a tough decision especially with the huge cut in pay for 5 years. The other factor is what do you really like more, working in an office environment or working out in the field every day getting dirty, and at times, being in sweltering heat or the freezing cold.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Celtic...I am in the ADM(office) for Local #3. I have an ADM card for Local #3. Yeah so when I leave 3 ...I leave.

NAK...I can't work with tools in the local if I am not an electrician.....

Infinity...I actually enjoy the field the guys and working with my hands......Well I have to make decision this week.... DARN>.....

The paycut is only temporary; there are large incremental raises as you progress through the apprenticeship program. Also, there is likely a separate list for out of work apprentices which would be smaller. The JATC program offers an incredible amount of information. It might be hard to convince your fiancee that it's a great opportunity, but in my opinion it is. Having a background in estimating will only help.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
BigDon..I'm with you. My fiancee completly supports me. She is just worried about the $$$. And there are raises which is a good thing. I may just have to get a part-time job at night. I would love to work OT for whichever company I work for but that's not a garuantee at all. Maybe they can have me do take-offs after hours for a few extra bucks...lol

ohm

The paycut is only temporary; there are large incremental raises as you progress through the apprenticeship program. Also, there is likely a separate list for out of work apprentices which would be smaller. The JATC program offers an incredible amount of information. It might be hard to convince your fiancee that it's a great opportunity, but in my opinion it is. Having a background in estimating will only help.

In the Navy they call an officer who rose through the ranks..like yourself a "mustang". Very valuable, always in demand.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I tink I am going to do it. THings happen for a reason and I will make it(I hope..lol) finacially one way or another. My job, who i told I was staying, is goging to FLIP OUT. Oh god.....

Sparky555

Career changes for quality of life can be well worth the temporary pay cut. Be smart though. Construction has boom and bust cycles and you could have long layoffs. You may also consider getting advice from some of the more experienced electricians regarding back, wrist and knee problems. There is also the occassional electrocution.

e57

In the Navy they call an officer who rose through the ranks..like yourself a "mustang". Very valuable, always in demand.
In the Marine corps they call an Officer who went Enlisted one of several things: Stupid, or Busted, if the other way around, Enlisted to Officer - Warrant Officer or Chesty Puller....

This guy is going from Estimator to Apprenti....

ohm

In the Marine corps they call an Officer who went Enlisted one of several things: Stupid, or Busted, if the other way around, Enlisted to Officer - Warrant Officer or Chesty Puller....

This guy is going from Estimator to Apprenti....

Yes there are a few small differences between the Navy and the Marine Corps, even if they're the same branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.